Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering Rebuild Success Story

A

Ala75Vette

Well, what should have been an afternoon of pulling parts off the vette and putting new ones on turned into a couple of weekends of frustration, but ultimately resulting in a 'leak free' power steering system. I'm just too satisfied, after beating the crap outta the old control valve, bleeding on the new parts, and finally getting everything put back together & working properly with no leaks to not say something! Thanks to this forum.... this topic pops up in threads often... and special thanks to 69MyWay and Rare81 for details that made my rebuild easier.

hey ala

did your new control valve have a new grease fitting the one I bought didn't and was wondering if it will be fine without a grease fitting

Ala75Vette Welcome to SHARK ownership :D You done good :cool
BudD
:w

No, my new unit did not have a grease fitting, and as a matter of fact had warnings all over it saying NOT to grease it or it'd void the warranty (got it through Eckler's).

It sure feels good to get a project behind you sometimes, don't you think?

Glad you got it licked.

Now you are ready to pull all that off and upgrade to a steeroids front rack assembly.........just kidding.

How do you feel about the way the power steering works on the C3? You know what I mean, that play you have in the steering wheel as if it has a loose gear box while it is indexing the upper valve on the unit in the power assit mode.

Sure wish there was a way to get that out of there.

On the flip side, short of the steeroids thing, it is a long cry from manually yanking the wheels where you want them to go.

Well, my p/s felt 'looser' before the control valve replacement, and it's hard to describe how it feels now, other than just saying 'different' (maybe a little stiffer handling). Certainly not a cadillac p/s system, but, hey, I'll still take my C3 anyday! ;)
The conspicuous lack of power steering fluid on my garage floor made all the hassle worth it!

Thanks to all for the help and advice.... next project, rear bearings, but I'm gonna wimp out and either mail mine to Van Steel or buy rebuilt trailing arms from same!!!

:_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom