Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering.

scotch1

Corvette
1994 convert. 2002 C5 coupe
Hi.
I must flush and purge my power steering fluid.
Has anybody ever performed this before??

What is the best procedure for flushing out the old power steering fluid??

My 90' L98 Coupe has over 125 K mile on it and the fluid looks terrible to say the least.
Or will I be opening a can of worms and causing more work then its worth.??
Tom.

Pull the return line at reservoir and place in large container. Have someone start the car and turn the wheel left to right while you continually fill the reservoir. You may have to stop and empty the catch container a few times depending on the size. When the return line is bringing back nice clean fluid, i would say your done.

Thanks Agent 86. I appreciate it.
Was wondering what the best method was, without getting fluid all over the place.
I guess I’ll buy a couple of cans of power steering fluid, and stick the return
line into a funnel and into a can.

My fluid is really bad, and has never been changed in 15 years, looks kind of dirty gray.
Tom.

Thanks Agent 86. I appreciate it.
Was wondering what the best method was, without getting fluid all over the place.
I guess I’ll buy a couple of cans of power steering fluid, and stick the return
line into a funnel and into a can.

My fluid is really bad, and has never been changed in 15 years, looks kind of dirty gray.
Tom.

Another way to do it that avoids messing with the lines (and possibly causing leaks, breaking the hose etc.) is to warm up the car and fluid and use a turkey baster to siphon out the fluid in the reservoir, then pour in some new fluid, drive around the block, siphon again, pour in new fluid again etc etc. Ultimately, you end up replacing everything, and you siphon the old fluid into a plastic milk jug. I used about two quarts of fluid to do this in my '89, and the fluid is now very clean.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom