Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Power To Clock

LLC5,
Have unsuccessfully spent several hours trying to remove brake light switch. Between my artificial hip, my torn meniscus, and my large hands, it did not go well.

Want to reconnect switch to its connector.
I know which connector slot is hot
HOW do I determine which terminal on the brake light switch to attach to??
(same question applies to clock)

Again, the switch is separated from its connector.

Many thanks...😤

LLC5,
Have unsuccessfully spent several hours trying to remove brake light switch. Between my artificial hip, my torn meniscus, and my large hands, it did not go well.

Want to reconnect switch to its connector.
I know which connector slot is hot
HOW do I determine which terminal on the brake light switch to attach to??
(same question applies to clock)

Again, the switch is separated from its connector.

Many thanks...

With the switch separated from the wire connector did the lights go off? The stoplight switch should have just two terminals on it and the wires can go on either way. With the brake pedal in it's rest position the stoplight plunger should be adjusted all the way in and I usually adjust it so the body of the switch barely contacts the stop (usually the brake pedal).

The clock does matter, it is polarity sensitive. I would need to see the clock, but usually the insulated terminal is battery positive.

Brake Lights
Yes, with the switch separated, the brake lights went out.
Good indication, am guessing, the switch is the problem.
Will hook up switch and adjust tomorrow. May correct.

IMG_0845.JPGClock
Terminal with nut is attached to a shaft coming out of clock
Terminal riveted on is merely attached to the case

Am I correct that the load side of the connector should be attached to the terminal attached with the nut?

As always, thank you

Brake Lights
Yes, with the switch separated, the brake lights went out.
Good indication, am guessing, the switch is the problem.
Will hook up switch and adjust tomorrow. May correct.

View attachment 26227Clock
Terminal with nut is attached to a shaft coming out of clock
Terminal riveted on is merely attached to the case

Am I correct that the load side of the connector should be attached to the terminal attached with the nut?

As always, thank you

The riveted side (left in picture) is the negative side of the battery. The terminal with the nut should be the positive side of the battery. Make sure that the positive terminal is isolated properly from the metal clock base, the picture makes it look like it could be touching which would cause a dead short.

LLC5,
You are correct. The terminal attached with the nut is in contact with the case.

A) Must we isolate the nut as well as the terminal?
B) Best way to isolate...rubber washer?

Regards

LLC5,
You are correct. The terminal attached with the nut is in contact with the case.

A) Must we isolate the nut as well as the terminal?
B) Best way to isolate...rubber washer?

Regards

Usually there is a plastic grommet that slides over the terminal insulating the stud and where it attaches inside the clock. Do you remember what was there before disassembly? If not rubber or plastic could be used, just make sure that the stud where it passes through the metal case is well insulated so it will never contact the case. Maybe find a place that rebuilds them and see what they use.

LLC5,
Don't recall anything being present to insulate when I removed clock a couple months ago.
Perhaps that's why it didn't work last time it was on the road 43 years ago!!

Off to Corvette show tomorrow. Will inquire about availability of insulator locally. Perhaps somebody has a spare...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom