Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Window Conversion

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Okay, I have scored a set of power window regulators/motors from a 82 C/E. According to the parts books, this is the same from 68-82. I plan on running the aftermarked wire harness I got with the aftermarket power window door look kit. The switches on the aftermarket kit are lighted and look a little more high tech than the stockers. Plus, cutting/pulling the stock wires out will take more time than it is worth.

Okay, here is my question. Anybody else ever done this conversion?

I am afraid my stock 69 driver door does not have all the holes drilled that it needs for the power unit. I believe my newer passenger door does.

Looks like more mods in the future.

I am not going to use the stock power locks.

Did the 69s have a power window option. If so then you should have enough room inside the door to mount the assembly. One problem you may run into even if 69 had the option, is the mounting holes and such. I helped a friend do his '71 and he got a late 70s unit (he thinks) and we had to drill and tap holes for the motor mounts. While we were in there we completely replaced all the roller bushings (I think we got the kit from Corvette Central or Zip) and used a wire wheel to remove all the caked on gunk then lubed everything.

That answered my question.

For the most part they are identical and the power door regulator is the same all the way through. Power windows were available in 69.

How did you figure out where to drill and tap the holes?

We played around with the mounting trying to guess where to put the holes, then got smart and pulled the inside panel off my car and made a template. If you can do that then it's a snap.

Okay, got the regulators today. They are sitting in the GEO and covered in rust and crud. I need to clean them up and put some penetrating oil all around.

Total price $150 for both regulators, brackets, tracks, motors, gears, and covers.

I guess not too bad.

Make sure you use a bolt to clamp the regulator and the gear together if you take off the motor otherwise that spring could put a nasty hole in your head......

Well, so far so good. I ordered new door handles. weather strips etc. etc. but the passenger side door handle has not arrived yet.

In any event, I was pleasantly surprised with the fact that no holes needed to be drilled. My 69 non power door already had all the right holes in it. I disassembled the motors, sprayed them out with electric parts cleaner, greased them, and oiled the casings and all up like new units. They are working great. Brushes were worn, but I am sure will last a long time as it will not be a daily driver. I am running jumper wires for now as I have yet to install the harness. Dealing with the electric wiper door on delay wiper mode still has me stumped.

No problems with the spring. It has just gotten too late tonight to do anymore.

Ain't it great when something turns out to be easier than you thought...... Doesn't happen too often!

KenSny said:
Ain't it great when something turns out to be easier than you thought...... Doesn't happen too often!

I knew something was to good to be true. Turns out that the wire harness I bought with the nice lighted switches etc. does not work the way the stock motors work. In other words, the stock window motors need the 12+ signal switched from one wire to the other and ground is provided on the casing of the motor. My aftermarket harness flips polarity between the two window door motors and does not require a casing ground.

So, back to the drawing board. I guess I will have to build a wire harness from scratch, or see how much I can pull out of that same 82 c/e in the bone yard.

:r

Got the ire harness today from another Corvette recycler. This one came out of like a 78 or 79. Anyway, it seems very simple and straight forward. I don't anticipate too many problems hooking it up.

What is a problem is all this work inside the doors. My arms look like I got in a fight with a mad cat. The driver door is mostly done except outer weather strip, door lock actuator and the door panel. I am just starting on the passenger door. It is a replacement, and I left the original door in one piece to use as a pattern for rebuilding. We tore the original one down tonight.

More parts came today. I believe I now have door panels and a few other things. I have so many boxes stacking up I can't keep up with what is and what is not here yet.

Yep, now I remember..... the tore up arms and back of hands and trying to find the correct angle to get the motor and guides all thru the hole in the door panel. Almost as much fun as realigning the window once it's in.

This has been a slow process for such an overall small thing, but I finally have both doors pretty much assembled. It is a pain working with new and used parts here. I have had to soak the latch mechanism overnight in solvent, and a couple of the rollers on the window regulators as well as they were frozen up.

So far so good. I don't know why I get a kick out of such things, but just watching the passenger door window go up and down with the power of the battery last night was almost worth the time and money. I was wondering if the original owner of the car use to kick him/herself over not choosing the power option when buying the car. I know when we had the 86 convertible I found myself raising and lowering the windows on a regular basis when the top was down to control air flow for conversations, temperature etc. Reaching across is difficult by yourself with a stick shift.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom