Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power windows

pasvorto

Yesterday the power windows decided to quit working again. They do this about 3 times a summer. Everything is working just fine. Then, out of nowhere, they decide to quit working. I have to take the side off the center console (I need to put velcro on it), take the plugs off the window switch, emery them, put it back together. They work. How can I take this to only a once a year routine? dilectric grease on the switch?

I wouldn’t use WD-40 as the label on the front of the can says Flammable. WD-40 is a good product but I don’t believe it was ever intended to clean electrical contacts or connections. There are contact cleaners on the market but just make sure it is compatible with plastic parts. Circuit board cleaner is my choice to clean electrical switches. It wouldn’t hurt to pull the plug and clean the connections and they apply a small amount of dielectric grease. If you feel its the switches and not a connection maybe the contacts in the switches are just old and pitted and will need to be replaced at some point.
Brian

Are you sure it's the switches? I've had this problem and it seemed to be caused by carbon build-up from brush wear in the motor. That carbon dust will ground out the windings and couple of taps on the motor with a hammer seems to work well to loosen it up and let it drop out. Last time I had to do it was about two years ago.

Here's my take on the Power Window switches. They are a terrible, cheap design. Here's how mine fail and the cheap fix instead of buying new ones for $50+.

With the switched removed from the center console, turn the switch upside down. You will see that there is a tiny circuit card on the bottom of the switch. What (can) happen is this: When we activate the switch, most of us have a (bad) habit of pushing more down on the switch toggle instead of putting more side pressure on the up-down direction. Over time this will slowly dislodge the small circuit card with the electrical contacts from the switch housing. Eventually the contacts on the bottom of the toggle no longer make contact with the circuit board. Result....... windows are stuck in whatever position they are in.

The fix: Take the switch in hand and remove the little circuit board and clean the contacts. Push the board back in place as far as it will go and use a good two part epoxy or even Super Glue and tack the sides of the circuit board to the sides of the switch housing. Be VERY careful NOT to let the epoxy get inside the switch. There are small gaps between the board and the housing. Let it set up over night. Test the switch with a circuit tester (VOM) if possible before you replace the switch (since it's a major PITA to get them out in the first place).

This (pennies) fix has saved me a number of times over the years of buying expensive aftermarket (dollars) switches. Give this a try first.

........ nut

It will be a project for next week. I am seriously (don't laugh) thinking about putting velcro in place to hold the side panels of the console. Those 3 screws are starting to strip out and it seems I have this thing apart way too often.

It will be a project for next week. I am seriously (don't laugh) thinking about putting velcro in place to hold the side panels of the console. Those 3 screws are starting to strip out and it seems I have this thing apart way too often.

No, no!!! I like the Velcro idea a lot. I have to remove the driver's side seat to get that panel off. The passanger side I can get to the screws without removing the seat. Great idea!! Let me know how it works and if you can keep the panel secure. I used to have a problem with my XM Radio transcever blowing a fuse from time to time and I got ticked about having to remove the panel to get at it. So I put a marine circuit breaker in its place and that sticks through the panel. I love creative ideas.

........... nut :D

btw.... I love the Big Daddy Rat Fink avatar. Brings back many memories :)

The more the current through the switch the quicker it will go bad. Window channeling that has not been greased in a while can cause the motor to draw excessive starting current to get the window moving. You may want to think about eventually pulling the door panels off and greasing the moving parts on the channeling. Would be a good time to pull the motors and grease up the gearbox on them as well. I use white litium grease on mine. Never had a switch prob with mine other than with those circuit boards that Nut mentioned above.
good luck

I hope to get at it this week (I was on vacation last week). I definitely plan on trying the velcro thing while I have it apart. I never thought of gluing the circuit boards. Usually, just pulling things apart and putting them back together worked. I guess that included the circuit boards, too.

You got to laugh. I went to where I have the Vette "stabled". Jumped in. Started it up. Pushed the power window switch to confirm that I needed to fix it. Wouldn't you know it? The windows worked just fine. I guess letting it sit was all it needed.

LOL.....

...I am seriously (don't laugh) thinking about putting velcro in place to hold the side panels of the console. Those 3 screws are starting to strip out...

Easier to replace the u-nuts. Take a console trim screw down to the hardware store, determine what size you need, and get a handful of new u-nuts.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom