Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Powerglide transmission modulator part #

Corvette
1962 rebuild in progress
Looking for information on the part number or replacement part number for a 62/63 powerglide transmission modulator. The page that lists the number in my parts book is gone and I don't see a number in the AIM. I know there is a first design for 62/63 and a second design for 63/67. Appreciate any help or input. Thanks

Part #

Claude, The part # for a 1963 2nd design is 352635, I have no listing for a 1962. I have the generals complete parts database on my computer @ work and Corvettes from 1953-2005. John

Sirs:

If you think a complete GM part database is to be found, I honestly don’t think a complete one exists that has all Corvette part numbers. Even when I logon to the genuine GM warehouse computers, they simply do not recognize obsolete part numbers that have been discontinued for a few years.

Generally the printed paper GM part books only list the parts for sale by GM Warehousing and Distribution that are sold over the counter at the time that book was printed, regardless of the models included. A year or so after an over the counter sold part is discontinued, it is dropped from the next edition of the paper part books. Or the books suggest and/or list an alternative part number that will be functionally OK for substitution.

The OEM modulator service part numbers from the 1938-1963 edition of the Chevrolet Part Manual are as follows:

1962-early 1963 models used p/n 3789122 while the late 1963 used p/n 3830276. The former was 3 1/2 inches OL and the latter 2 1/2 OL. In the 1970’s both of these p/n were discontinued and superceded to 352637 for the early version and 362635 for the later version.

All four p/n versions are discontinued today, however the late design of the superceded modulators can still be found brand new if one does a minimal search.

But the good new is that any 62 Chevrolet with Aluminum PG used the early original design while 63 Chevrolets with Aluminum PG used the latter original design, so they can be found in other donors besides Corvettes. Best place to search is a salvage yard in So CA, AZ, NM.

Geoffrey Coenen
Dr. Retired

PS You gotta have part books from virtually every year to have a database that would come close, but it still would not complete. i.e. for 1956-1967 you could have all these Chevrolet part books and still have huge gaps and missing p/n's.

1929-1956
1929-1957
1929-1958
1929-1959
1929-1960
1929-1961
1929-1962
1938-1963
1938-1964
1938-1965
1938-1966
1938-1967

These would provide a good basis for the parts numbers GM sold over the counter in each particular year. It would not include the thousands of p/n that show up in each model year's particular Assembly Instruction Manual that were never sold over the counter.

Thanks Doc, your knowledge in this area is a great help. I appreciate your input.

CLaude

Another book GM published was called Parts History. If I remember right it was printed quarterly and listed superseded and discontinued parts numbers. You could take an original number and trace it down to the current service part or to the date it was officially discontinued. It whould show each time the number changed and the date. I have a few of these from my GM parts days and they do come in handy sometimes when combined with my old parts books.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom