Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pre-mature tire wear

bling vette

Corvette
2004 Millenium yellow Conv.
Can anyone tell me why the innermost edge on my two front tires have worn down bare with only 13000 miles??? I do not abuse or drive aggressively. I bought the Vette new in April of 2004.

It is the camber setting in the alignment. The factory spec is a small amount of negative camber. The tire leans in slightly at the top. When you corner hard, the tire tread will then be flatter on the road. If you look at a Formula 1 car, the negative camber is visible to the eye.

When you go to the alignment shop, they can adjust that for you, but it sounds too late for these tires. You could have them dismounted and change sides so that they continue to roll in the same direction, but the wear is on the outside. It may be too late, however.

My C5 was misaligned from the factory, the front & rears were both ate off on the inside.

Got new tires put on when the alignment was corrected. :lou

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

My C5 was misaligned from the factory, the front & rears were both ate off on the inside.

Got new tires put on when the alignment was corrected. :lou

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
There all mis-aligned!!! Some just worse than others!!!!:D
All cars need to be re-aligned in the first 2-3000 miles!!!! After being on the road!!!!!! Bushings seat in,Springs settle down,Shocks break-in!!!! It don't matter if it is a $15,000 Malibu or a $325,000 Lamborghini!!!!!!!:upthumbs

It is the camber setting in the alignment. The factory spec is a small amount of negative camber. The tire leans in slightly at the top. When you corner hard, the tire tread will then be flatter on the road. If you look at a Formula 1 car, the negative camber is visible to the eye.
Not just the neg camber,but also the high + caster!!!! these cars are capable of running at speeds in excess of 170+ MPH!!!! They have to set them up this way,because there is always some Dumb Inexperienced Driver that has to see if it will do it!!!! I set my car up 0 cam and less + caster,only 6 to 6 1/4 + caster!!!! It drives and steers easier at slower speeds,(and alot easier on tires) if I was going to drive it at speeds over 130-140 MPH I would run the caster back up to 9 to10 deg + so I could control it easier at Top speed!!!!! But Tires don't last long there!!!!! If I was going to auto cross it,I would set it up entirely different!!
:Steer :lou :pat

I just filed a claim with Chevrolet customer assisstance for the cost of two new run flat tires and an alignment. The nerve of G.M. setting up my convertible with a ZO6 alignment.

If the camber and caster are set for high speed at the factory and the shops only have these settings for realignment, then it will be set wrong again. What settings should we use for normal highway/city driving?

If the camber and caster are set for high speed at the factory and the shops only have these settings for realignment, then it will be set wrong again. What settings should we use for normal highway/city driving?
And this is where a Real Alignment man comes in,There just aren't many these days that can Look at the ware on a tire and change setting to where it needs to be!! I call them Toe and Go artists!!! "Here it's within specs,Give me my $89.95 it took me 5 minutes to check it but I left it up there for 45 so you think I did something"!!;LOL :rotfl
I set my car up 0 cam and less + caster,only 6 to 6 1/4 + caster!!!! It drives and steers easier at slower speeds,(and allot easier on tires) if I was going to drive it at speeds over 130-140 MPH I would run the caster back up to 9 to10 deg + so I could control it easier at Top speed!!!!! But Tires don't last long there!!!!! If I was going to auto cross it,I would set it up entirely different!!:upthumbs :lou:pat

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=726528&postcount=11

Hey gang,

I agree that these cars are all set a little different form the factory. Case in point. Mine has 26K on it and the inside fronts are cupped but not trashed. On the other hand, I've always run the tires slightly over inflated 32 psi, so that might be a contributing factor.

Remo:cool

Hey gang,

I agree that these cars are all set a little different form the factory. Case in point. Mine has 26K on it and the inside fronts are cupped but not trashed. On the other hand, I've always run the tires slightly over inflated 32 psi, so that might be a contributing factor.

Remo:cool
Actually the higher air pressure will make it better to a Point!! The higher pressure will let it run more to the center of the tire!! I run 33-35 psi in mine in the front,30-32 in the rear!!:cool

I would be concerned about running with a higher PSI than what's recommended. Junk, you are correct that it will put the pressure more to the center of the tire. It will also mean that the edges of the tire have less surface pressure on the road- in an icy or otherwise slippery situation, I'd be highly concerned about that. I'd want as much rubber making contact with the road as I could get.

(Wow- I'm starting to sound like Remo warning everyone about the dangers of driving in December. :L )

-Patrick

I would be concerned about running with a higher PSI than what's recommended. Junk, you are correct that it will put the pressure more to the center of the tire. It will also mean that the edges of the tire have less surface pressure on the road- in an icy or otherwise slippery situation, I'd be highly concerned about that. I'd want as much rubber making contact with the road as I could get.

(Wow- I'm starting to sound like Remo warning everyone about the dangers of driving in December. :L )

-Patrick
Actually Patrick you are right to a point!!!! But the the tires run Cooler at speed and expand less from heat!! After warm my tires have 38 all the way around, at 30 lb I've seen my front expand to 40 and the rears expand to 42 on the road!! Hotter tires ware more,and have less Rubber on the Road!!! And with my 0 camber, I actually have more Rubber on the Road Evenly!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom