Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pre-Mixed Antifreeze

I always keep around 5 gallon of 50/50 antifreeze and water pre-mixed so when I need to add some it's already the correct ratio. I keep several empty jugs so when I buy more antifreeze I have enough jugs to keep it in and they're all clearly marked 50/50 with a black felt pen so I know they're ready to go. Does anyone else in this forum do that?

I keep some coolant in my garage, but the containers are kept sealed until I use them, and I keep multiple bottles of distilled water for mixing with coolant and washer bottle cleaner.

Yes I do this, but I forgot to label the mixed, and I can't tell by looking, so I'll just have to feed it to the cat and start over.

Yes, I have some 50/50 mix on hand all the time. I label mine too. :D

I only have one vehicle with an engine in which I use a 50/50 or 40/60 mix so I don't premix coolant to that percentage.

I have some with 15/85 and Red Line Water Wetter mixes but I prefer to mix them using a refractometer. I add enough antifreeze to get that protection.

The rest of the engines have straight water and Red Line Water Wetter or Design Engineering Radiator Relief but no antifreeze.

Antifreeze is just a mix of ethylene gylcol, borax and a dye to give it color.

I use the premix 50/50 Preston from Wally World and change the coolant out on a yearly basis. I haven't seen any non premix antifreeze locally for some time now.

Antifreeze is just a mix of ethylene gylcol, borax and a dye to give it color

The answer is actually quite a few lines below his question. ;)

Your answer is probably the technically correct one.

The answer is actually quite a few lines below his question. ;)

Your answer is probably the technically correct one.

I saw his answer and chose to ignore it, replacing his reality with my own. :D

I would hope that my answer was technically correct for having spent two summers working in a antifreeze plant.

Antifreeze is just a mix of ethylene gylcol, borax and a dye to give it color.(snip)

The above is not correct.

It is true that "antifreeze" has a ethylene glycol base. It is also true that antifreezes contain dyes. Orange, green, yellow and blue are common.

Modern antifreezes also have a water pump lubricant, an antifoaming agent and a corrosion inhibiter. They use one of two different corrosion inhibiters, either a silicate based inhibiter (typical of green, yellow or blue antifreezes) or a calcium-based inhibiter (typical of orange or "Dexcool" type products).

I use the premix 50/50 Preston from Wally World and change the coolant out on a yearly basis. I haven't seen any non premix antifreeze locally for some time now.
It's "Prestone" not "Preston".

Finally, if the engine uses a 50/50 or 40/60 mix, coolant should be changed every 3/36,000 for antifreezes with silicate-based inhibiters or 5/50,000 for antifreezes with calcium-based inhibiters.

Anybody know how to make Antifreeze?

Hide her woollen sweater.

Yeah, just heat ordinary water before you pour it in and then start the engine and keep it running 24 hours a day 7 days a week to keep it hot.

I spent some time this morning looking at internet antifreeze ads and the stuff sure is expensive. I always buy the green concentrate from my local auto parts store but never paid any attention to how much it costs.

I think they only sell premixed overhere so yes most of the times I have a 3 gallon can (10L) in the garage next to the engine and transmission oil.

As winter and spring tend to have a few days or weeks below zero we never put just water into the system.

Greetings Peter

Yeah, just heat ordinary water before you pour it in and then start the engine and keep it running 24 hours a day 7 days a week to keep it hot.

Maybe not where you live; however, others understand wind chill. Where I've lived in the past; a running engine will freeze when driven. Unless the air flow to the radiator is blocked.

In Pass Cars or motorcycles, a Vernatherm is usually a bypass for an oil cooler. Perhaps the radiator in a water cooled motorcycle? Some boat and aircraft engines have one also.
In Commercial Diesel, a Vernatherm controls the shutters in front of the radiator. The slang name is a shutter stat.

Thermal Valves, thermostatic thermostats - Rostra Vernatherm

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom