Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Predator Programmer

81 MAKO

Corvette
2010 Grand Sport 6-spd manual~ 2001 cpe auto trans
I just looked in the Westcoastcorvette catalog and saw this "Diablo Sport Predator Programmer" I have a 2001...anyone out there used/knowledgable of these hand-held programmers? I am thinking if it is a good investment to tune-up your car then it might be a good tool to have. Any inputs on other brands or choices would be appreciated by me.

I already getting the GM red spark wire set & AD Delco Iridium spark plugs.

Not going to spend alot of money for extra H.P. but the programmer sounds better than going down town and paying a huge service tune-up. :bash

Thanks again ......dave

I just looked in the Westcoastcorvette catalog and saw this "Diablo Sport Predator Programmer" I have a 2001...anyone out there used/knowledgable of these hand-held programmers? I am thinking if it is a good investment to tune-up your car then it might be a good tool to have. Any inputs on other brands or choices would be appreciated by me.

I already getting the GM red spark wire set & AD Delco Iridium spark plugs.

Not going to spend alot of money for extra H.P. but the programmer sounds better than going down town and paying a huge service tune-up. :bash

Thanks again ......dave
Finding a tuner shop with a dyno will yield far better results for the same money.

I was one of the first to own the Diablosport Predator for a C5. Here is what I accomplished using it on my 2002 automatic:

1. loaded the "Performance Tune" program into the cars PCM (which does some tricks with timing).

2. Advanced the timing another 3%

3. Using a wide band O2 setup, I leaned a very rich WOT AFR.

4. I turned off the dreaded "Torque Management"

5. I firmed up the shifts, adjusted the WOT shift points, and made further tweaks after changing the rear axle ratio.

6. I lowered the cooling fans ON temps by 5 degrees (I still am using the stock thermostat)

And the beauty is that I can drive the car to the dragstrip... then make changes there... run all nigth long... then move the settings back to non-track values for the drive home :)

A dyno tune can get more exacting results; but then each change you make to the car requires another trip to the dyno... and another bill to pay. If you're like me and seem to always be making changes to your C5, then having a handheld may be a great idea.

I seem to always be testing different WOT shift scenarios; especially the 2-3 shift (which is a known dead-spot on the A4).

I've had 2 Predator programmers. My first one I used on my 99' FRC and my second one I got for alot less money when I bought my 03' ZO6. Predator allows you to send the old programmer back to them and get another, because they are VIN dependent, and cannot be used from one C5 to another, but they will give you another for a reduced cost when you sell or trade your car. The predator will read codes on any GM vehicle and isn't VIN dependent on that fact. If you have plans to modify your C5 with just an intake and exhaust, the predator works just fine, but still never gets the car dialed in exactly and horsepower is always left on the table. Predator can send you a tune to download via email by filling out one of their questioneers, and you will need to download the predator PC software and buy the cables to hook up to your personal computer. The cost is around $100.00 for the email tune, and around $40.00 for the cables. They do a good job as long as the information given them is accurate, but still never get the tune spot on. This is the point where I was when I did a cam swap and found a dyno tuner in my area. It depends on how much modification you plan on. I went alot deeper into the motor and needed to find a tuner using EFIlive or LS1edit software. Right now I'm pushing 158 horsepoower over the stock 405 naturally aspirated and tuning is more critical for me due to running higher compression and the need for an accurate A/F mixture to avoid any detonation. A dyno tuner will charge full price for first time tunes, but will reduce the cost alot on a return trip, becuase they had you dialed in and only have to make slight changes. A base dyno tune will give you maximum performance and a known starting point. Whenever you make changes, you will always have an accurate record on how much horsepower you are making. It's up to you on the Predator, but knowing what I know now, I would have gone to a dyno tuner first.

predator tune

I was one of the first to own the Diablosport Predator for a C5. Here is what I accomplished using it on my 2002 automatic:

1. loaded the "Performance Tune" program into the cars PCM (which does some tricks with timing).

2. Advanced the timing another 3%

3. Using a wide band O2 setup, I leaned a very rich WOT AFR.

4. I turned off the dreaded "Torque Management"

5. I firmed up the shifts, adjusted the WOT shift points, and made further tweaks after changing the rear axle ratio.

6. I lowered the cooling fans ON temps by 5 degrees (I still am using the stock thermostat)

And the beauty is that I can drive the car to the dragstrip... then make changes there... run all nigth long... then move the settings back to non-track values for the drive home :)

A dyno tune can get more exacting results; but then each change you make to the car requires another trip to the dyno... and another bill to pay. If you're like me and seem to always be making changes to your C5, then having a handheld may be a great idea.

I seem to always be testing different WOT shift scenarios; especially the 2-3 shift (which is a known dead-spot on the A4).
Mike, I have bought the Predator flash programmer and I have done the basic download it offers. What is the torque management system? how do I turn it off? What do you have your timing set too? My engine is stock and I have adjusted the fans and shift points like you. Any other tips you can give me. I dont plan major engine changes because I like the reliability. I have been down the modification road in a big way before and the one thing one always gives up is (reliability). Any ideas on this subject will be greatly appreciateed. thanks, edram454..2000 a4 coupe.

Torque Management is a system that severly retards the ignition timing during WOT shifts. This keeps wear-n-tear from the tranny; but sadly gives a wimpy "Oldsmobile" type" soft shift. On the 1999-2002 model Predator, the factory TM is automatically disabled when you first load in the Predators "Performance Tune".

I increased my timing advance +3% (but I always run 93 octane).
I quickened the shifts by -8% and I raised the line pressure by +10%.

I have 99 Vert with 6speed. Can one of you tell me what can I change tune wise to increase engine performance. Beside fans and ignition timing what ealse would be beneficial for the HP increase? Guess I can see much more that can be done with an automatic vs. 6speed. Thanks Zig.

PS: This would apply to a Predator tune, not a Dino.

Handheld programmers get the best results on automatic C5's ... mainly because of the "torque management" system being turned off.

On manual shift C5's the TM system never gets activated (unless the abuse mode gets triggered; and then there's a lot more happening than just TM kicking in). You won't get as much out-of-the-box increase with a 6 speed and a handheld programer as you would with the same programmer on an A4.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom