Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Preparing a new 2006 for Travel

mbayr00

Corvette
2006 Coupe
Next May, my wife & I are planning to take delivery of a 2006 Machine Silver Coupe at the BG Museum. We will drive it (carefully) on a cross-country trip (3 weeks) to our home in California. My concern is what prep should we do to the car after delivery and prior to making the trip? Wax it? Should a BRA be installed? Even with the new paint? Is one type of BRA better than another? How about the covers for the outside mirrors? Are the BRA & mirror covers necessary? Any comments are welcomed! We have been waiting for 40 years to make this trip and want to do it the right way. Thank you for your input!
The coupe will have all options which include Nav System & the six speed automatic.

Congrats on your upcoming New Corvette!

Welcome to the :CAC

Waxing would probably be a good idea and the clear plastic covers for the front and mirrors might be nice for protection.

I'm sure you know the folks at the NCM will be great help.

Keep us posted on how everything goes.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

When I did museum delivery on my 2003, I took along a bra for the trip home. If you worry about bug and rock chips, the bra is a good idea. The one I bought did not require any tools to install. If you buy a bra that requires some installation, bring along the necessary tools. If you use a bra and mirror covers, waxing first would be a great idea. My body shop tells me that fresh paint should not be waxed for 30-45 days. I'm not sure if this precaution applies to factory paint as well.

I drove it around BG for 3 days and got the 'break-in' miles out of the way there. There's lots to see and do around BG and the NCM and plant people are pretty good about helping you out if you need it.

Here's what I would do. I would purchase a Speed Lingerie from the museum. If your a member you'll get a 10-15% discount. They also sell Adams Auto Products. Adams detail spray is the BEST product I have every used. You can us it on the car as well as the glass (smells good to). Getting back to the Bra you will need a few tools to install the hold brackets under the fenders. I'm sure you could find a service station in BG that would installed the brackets and bra. On the way home if you get into rain I would remove the bra, as grit will cumulate and could scratch the paint. Make sure you spray the Adams detail spray on the front end where the bra will fit. You'll need a micro towel to wipe down the front or were ever you apply the spray. Good luck and happy trails.

I've done the Museum Delivery 3 times. I recommend spending a few days in Bowling Green to make sure the car is OK, and to get familiar with it. I've made all 3 trips with no bras or wax, and only got a few tiny chips. I took a bra this last time, but did not use it, because you need sun and a temp greater than 70 to stretch it to fit. It rained for several days. Also, the prep guy at the Museum strongly recommended NOT using a bra. He said the paint needed time to cure. I took I-10, I-80, and I-40, and each was interesting. I recommend researching the route you choose for interesting places. Here's a neat website: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/index.html
Needless to say, it's a great adventure, and it's best to take your time, and be flexible.

cm13.jpg

Oh yeah, if you can, try to travel part of the way on Route 66. This last time I went from Seligman, AZ, thru Kingman to Oatman. There are some fun roads there.

oat1.jpg

oat2.jpg

Route 66

I was just about to recommend that he drive some section of Route 66 on the trip home when I read where you mentioned it C6BOB.

No trip cross country in a Corvette would be complete without at least a portion of it on the Mother Road! And a picture of that new Vette with a Route 66 roadsign next to it would make a great poster for a garage!

Here is a link to a website I found one night while surfing. This is 2 couples who apparently made a roadtrip along what's left of the old Route 66 in Spring of 2004.

Click here: Kicks On Route 66

Enjoy!
:w Jane Ann

I took a 5 week, 7000 mile cruise last summer - including Cruisefest 2005. My preparations were an oil change and a GM parts bra. The Vette is a modern car, and needs no special treatment or preparations. The car performed flawlessly as expected. The mirrors were not dinged by bugs or gravel, nor was the windshield. The Vette is a Chevy - drive it like you stoled it.
:lou

Put the delivery off until June 1st - so you can pick it up and join the CAC Cruisefest.

:w
Guy

mbayr00 said:
Next May, my wife & I are planning to take delivery of a 2006 Machine Silver Coupe at the BG Museum. We will drive it (carefully) on a cross-country trip (3 weeks) to our home in California. My concern is what prep should we do to the car after delivery and prior to making the trip? Wax it? Should a BRA be installed? Even with the new paint? Is one type of BRA better than another? How about the covers for the outside mirrors? Are the BRA & mirror covers necessary? Any comments are welcomed! We have been waiting for 40 years to make this trip and want to do it the right way. Thank you for your input!
The coupe will have all options which include Nav System & the six speed automatic.

Enjoy your new C6. They are just tremendous cars. I saw mine built at the factory, though I didn't pick it up there, so I know you are going to have a tremendous time.

I had a 3M bra put on my car just after taking delivery. I don't regret it one bit -- in fact, when I was in Kershaw, SC for the Corvette Museum's HDPE (stones flying everywhere from the track) I was the envy of all the other C6 owners.

I had my 3M put on in Rockville, MD (2 men, 4 hrs), but the 3M site indicates authorized installers throughout the country. I looked several months ago and there were installers within 50 miles of Bowling Green, who were willing to travel to BG to do the installation. The Museum will allow the installer to use its bays for this purpose.

Other than keeping within the rev limits during the part of your trip that is break-in, all I can say is, enjoy this supercar!! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom