Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Preparing to take a trip

Anthony, I'm glad all went well on your trip.

As far as the rear goes, on the mixture of additive to gear oil, on my 80 the AIM calls for .???? gallons and when I had my daughter figure out how many ounces, it comes out to 4 ounces additive plus 1/2 gallon gear oil. If youre going to drain & refill, after draining, put in the additive then top off with gear oil.

(Honestly I don't know how you would drain it in the car, but I'm sure someone here knows.)

Steve :w

Draining Differential

Could I just remove the cover and allow everything to flow out then replace the seal with a new one and then replace the cover? Is there something huge that I'd be missing here if I went about it that way?

Anthony,

You'd end up making alot of work for yourself, You need to siphon the fluid out. They make a hand cranked siphon, quick and easy.

Some people drill a hole in the bottom and install a plug afterwards, if you do this be very careful. You don't want to add metal shaving's.

Good luck, I hope this fluid change fix's your problem.

Rick

Anthony, the plug s/b on the top side of the case. Siphoning is the only safe way. Don't upset the rear seal for no reason. Hand crank or hand pump it out. Check the refill with your little finger tip.

......... Nut

Steal, a basting tool from the pantry, and some fish tank hose to fit over the end, then s u c k out the fluid and put it in a jar.

Then reverse the process to fill it :D

If you can't steal a basting "Tool" they sell them at supermarkets, K-Mart, Target, Walgreens etc..

Good Luck Anthony.. ;)

BudD
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom