Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Preserving a car to be a Survivor...

B17Crew

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
I have a wonderful 96 LT4 that I plan on keeping for a very, very long time. It has been a daily driver for the past 8 years.

Six months ago, I pulled it off the road for sunny day/weekend cruising use only. I have 51,000 miles on it, it’s bone stock and in very good condition.

Last weekend, I started disassembling the car to do a thorough cleaning -- every inch of the car is being detailed.

When I pulled off the black plastic inner wheel well shrouds, I noticed a slight “sandblasting” effect from the tires on all of the inside black plastic pieces.

My question is should I replace items like this or leave it “as is” to keep the car in the “Survivor” category. I’ve noticed codes and part numbers stamped in the parts along with stickers that have dates like 5/28/96.

Also, should I repaint the inner wheel well screws? They too have lost some of the flat black paint that was once applied to them. Would this hurt the car in “Survivor” judging? I know the car will never be a high dollar collectable, but I want keep it stock to one day enter it for “Survivor” competition.

I’d greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks,
B17Crew
:w

Stop!! The "Survivor" judging (NCCB/Bloomington) or "Bowtie" judging (NCRS) standards mean unrestored/unmolested/untouched original; any parts you restore/resurface/repaint/replate (or even remove/replace) will hurt your score. As soon as you start "fixing it up", you've automatically put the car in the judging class for restored cars (which only goes up to '89 currently for NCRS).

:beer

Thanks JohnZ,

I’ve been wondering about replacing all of the worn parts. I know there is certain criteria for a car being a Survivor. I haven’t looked into the details yet but it sounds like I better if I want to have a true Survivor class car. Your comments suggest what I expected.

Thank you!

B17Crew

i have also wondered this. i'll lurk.

B17Crew said:
I have a wonderful 96 LT4 that I plan on keeping for a very, very long time. It has been a daily driver for the past 8 years.

Six months ago, I pulled it off the road for sunny day/weekend cruising use only. I have 51,000 miles on it, it’s bone stock and in very good condition.

Last weekend, I started disassembling the car to do a thorough cleaning -- every inch of the car is being detailed.

When I pulled off the black plastic inner wheel well shrouds, I noticed a slight “sandblasting” effect from the tires on all of the inside black plastic pieces.

My question is should I replace items like this or leave it “as is” to keep the car in the “Survivor” category. I’ve noticed codes and part numbers stamped in the parts along with stickers that have dates like 5/28/96.

Also, should I repaint the inner wheel well screws? They too have lost some of the flat black paint that was once applied to them. Would this hurt the car in “Survivor” judging? I know the car will never be a high dollar collectable, but I want keep it stock to one day enter it for “Survivor” competition.

I’d greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks,
B17Crew

already screwed up by taking it apart!

There probably won't be any such thing as "Survivor" judging for cars as new as 1996 anyway. Too many folks are keeping cars pristine now. NCRS is supposed to be creating a new award class for these types of cars from what I hear.

JohnZ said:
Stop!! The "Survivor" judging (NCCB/Bloomington) or "Bowtie" judging (NCRS) standards mean unrestored/unmolested/untouched original; any parts you restore/resurface/repaint/replate (or even remove/replace) will hurt your score. As soon as you start "fixing it up", you've automatically put the car in the judging class for restored cars (which only goes up to '89 currently for NCRS).

:beer
Absolutely!
Clean what you can with everything in place, and DO NOT remove or replace bolts, washers, fasteners, anything. If the newer cars ever are judged in an "originality only" category like a Bowtie or Survivor, then you do not want to have evidence of any "disassembly" on the parts.

If the judges would then have ANY doubts that a part came on your car from the factory or was replaced, you LOSE the score for that item in judging. If the wheelwell doesn't look 50,000 miles old, you lose.

Patrick
72 4-Star Bowtie

Thank you everyone for your comments. It seems that work has saved my car from me meddling with it! As soon as I posted this back in June, work had taken off and I haven’t been able to spend but 20 minutes with my car each weekend. I take it out for a short spin every weekend to keep things in working order.

B17Crew

B17Crew said:
I take it out for a short spin every weekend to keep things in working order.

B17Crew
Taking a car out for a short spin does more harm than good. It doesn't keep things in working order, contrary to urban legend, it just accelerates wear and tear from starting and stopping and from additional condensation cycles.

If you're really serious about preserving this car, put it away properly and leave it alone.:beer

Vettehead Mikey,
Thank you for the input; not discounting your suggestion, but I think these LT series cars, like to run...

I had a 93 Comp Yellow six-speed coupe that I bought new off the showroom floor, after 4 years I had 9,000 miles on it. I let it sit covered in the garage for most of its life. I had more oil/coolant leaks popping up here and there that I changed my tactics. I take my 96 out for about a 15-20 mile drive when I can. After almost a year of storage, not one leak has occurred on this car. Although you make perfect sense about wear and tear from starting/stopping and from additional condensation cycles. I do want to keep this car for a long, long time. Any suggestions on how often to run it?

I gotta say, it’s nice to at least get a 20 mile drive in when I can, free time is becoming harder and harder to come by. :cry

B17Crew

Good 20-30 mile runs are best, especially if at highway speeds. You want any condensation in the oil as well as exhaust system to burn off.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,
An excuse for me to spend more time in the drivers seat. :Steer

I have one more question: I have the original battery still, it lasted about 4 years or so. I have it stored out of the way, I'm hesitant to dispose of it because I've tried to hang onto the OEM parts that have run their service cycle.

Any suggestions on how to keep the OEM battery from becoming a time bomb or safely storing it?

B17Crew

JohnZ said:
....As soon as you start "fixing it up", you've automatically put the car in the judging class for restored cars (which only goes up to '89 currently for NCRS).
WOW-

Up to '89 for NCRS? I have been in the hobby for 12 years- since I was 16. I remember when my first Vette was a year into the judging class.

The gray hair, the mounting list of lifetime physical injuries..... ahhh the beginings of old age.

B17Crew said:
have the original battery still, it lasted about 4 years or so. :w
Lucky you. I wish I had mine. Thats all I am missing for my original '95 with 50k miles on it.

Mick,

so, you have tires with 50k miles and you are still driving it!?

lemish said:
Lucky you. I wish I had mine. Thats all I am missing for my original '95 with 50k miles on it.

I have been saving everything off this car.

A lot of times, I’ll find “build dates” on pieces. Even the rubber seals that go around the perimeter of the front wheel wells has 1996 printed/silk screened on them.

B17Crew

c5vetter said:
so, you have tires with 50k miles and you are still driving it!?
Actually, when I bought the 95 CONV I am speaking of, I got the dealer to thow in a set of '96 A-MOLD CE wheels and EMT tires - the original wheels and tires are in the basement with only 113 miles on them (removed at delivery) - they were removed by the dealer and replaced with the A-MOLDS and I have the WE-OWE slip from SPORT CHEVROLET where it shows they did it. Not sure that Survivor and Bowtie rules would like that idea of pulling off parts that wear out before they wear out - but if you have the forethought to do it, I say you better do it. But they both allow for 'maintenance' - so whats the difference if thats how i 'maintain' the tires. Since I bought the '67 last week, the 95 is officially stored for good. If I get it back out, I do plan to put some seat covers over the seats too.

MICK

Speaking of Bowtie, NCRS, etc. Are you going to the meet this weekend, Rick. If so, see you there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom