Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Price For A Low Mi. '88 Cpe???

MARLTON LT-4

Corvette
1976 resto mod
Help!! I have my eye on a super clean and original '88 cpe with 16,000 miles. Original owner, all paper work, needs tire because of dry rot. I know he will sell it for $15,000.00. what is a fair price for this car?? It is the correct colors, red w/ black interior and it is fairly close to me. Please chime in on what I should do!

THANK YOU! :confused

CP

Do you have any pictures? How about maintence records? If he has let the tires dry rot... what else is going to need replacement due to sitting? Take a look around the car for rust in the frame and corrosion. As you already own a Corvette, don't jump to quickly. What are your reasons for wanting this particular 88? Investment? Daily Driver? For the Kid?

For the wife. The car was placed on E-bay last night. item 4546301952. I had the identicle car in a '89. I was hunting down for her '88-'93 clean, low mile cars. I would fly up and take a look at it before I bought it. It appears to be the real deal. No rust, leaks, body work, etc. We are in no rush, but I will move quickly for the right car at the right price. As always, I want to be able to sell it if I want to w/o losing my a_ _. I am a firm believer that finding the correct corvette is half the fun.

Thanks for you feedback!!

CP

I would wait for the auction to end and then make an offer in the 12-13 range. I don't think he can get close to 15K on e-bay. As far as loosing your a-- goes, I don't think a clean driveable vette is ever going to drop below 10K, but once it starts getting more miles on it you'll never get 15K for it (at least not in our lifetime :L ) Good luck searching!

Very good advice. I will probably do just that. He said that if he does not sell it on e-bay he will take it to the Manheim Auto Auction. I think he will be sadly disappointed if he takes it their! Thanks for the good input!!

CP:beer

For what it's worth I paid $11K for my 88 about 3 years ago. Had 32K miles. Did a lot of research and I'm the 4th owner. I think $15K is a little high but if it's something you have to have then you can always justify the cost. If you check KBB or Edmunds you'll find that they list for a lot less than $15K.

Good luck!

Ron
"Baldie88"

If you're interested in an automatic there was a beautiful 84 closer to you with 12k orig. 2nd owner. The owner said 1st 10k would buy it. If interested let me know. I'm not sure if it sold or not, this was about 2 weeks ago.

Just to give an update... I gave him a firm price of $13,000.00. I think that this is pretty generous considering that it will need about $1,000.00 of tires/work right away. He is a nice guy but a little unrealistic in my opinion. He and I agree that E-Bay will not get his price. However, he is going to have it at the "highline" Manhiem auction early next week which he said he is confident that it will fetch $14,000-$16,000.00. I had the opportunity to compare cars that ran in 4/05 there almost exactly the same as his (year, condition, color, very low miles) and they went for $11,000-$12,000.00 range. He is probably just giving me a load of "BS" but he said at $13,000.00 he would just keep it and give it to his wife. The question is that after he gets his dose of reality and calls me to see if I still want it, do I take it??? Depending on my mood I might even go less.

All of your advice was very helpful!! :upthumbs

Thanks,

CP

Depends on how bad your wife wants it! 13K was a very generous offer in my opinion. If it were me I may have to drop to 12K if he calls back, but I'm kind of a jerk sometimes! ;LOL Good luck!

It is already at $12,600.00 on E-bay with about 2 days left. Most of those bidders are not for real anyway. Who knows...it could be someone from this site! On second thought, a majority of the people on here are too smart pay that much!!

I think who ever does buy it at that price will have a serious case of "buyers remorse" in the morning.

CP :ugh

Just took a peek at the car and I think you are right, either bogus bids or the bidding is going to stall right where it is. There is a nice anniversery edition with less than 30K miles and ending in less than 10 hours, it still hasn't touched 11K.

I just checked it too. I understand sometimes if reserves aren't going to be met, sellers will have friends or someone bid with no intention of buying just to try to increase the bid. Hope it works out for you.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom