Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pricing to do the underneath of a 69

80k is a lot for a C3. Maybe someday but sound like B-Jackson hipe/fever. Yes there are some C3's up there but most are not. Don't make your decisions based on this or you may regret it in the future.

By the way, this person told me my car would be worth in around 80K when it's all done.

That's so you won't feel so bad about dropping $30K-$50K on it in HIS shop :eyerole. No C3 is going to be worth $80K unless it's a real L-88 or a perfect LT-1.

:beer

be careful

You know you better watch out when the shop doing the work tells you what the car is going to be worth when they're finished.
Maybe they figure it'll be worth 80k then, and 10k now, so they can charge you 70k for the resto and you'll be ok. This is the wrong type of thinking.

Your frame looked fine to me. Why not clean it up, brush on some POR 15 if it makes you feel better and drive the thing? (after having the brakes professionaly repaired)

No one can quote "getting it to run" but maybe establish an hourly rate and work beside the guy, getting him a wrench, a rag, whatever. Tell him you'll pay his rate and want to learn about how the car works. Bring coffee in the morning, run out for lunch, etc. Pay him promptly, daily if he wants and he should be fair with you, providing his reputation is decent.

I'd advise against having the body removed, you might not see it back on for a decade or more, unless you've got very deep pockets, which it does not sound like you do based upon your inquiries here.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Just reassures me that I'm doing the right thing about checking EVERYTHING out before committing to anything. Speaking of commitment, I found a place that I feel is going to treat me fairly AND respect my wallet. I've looked at several places now, touring each one and actually speaking to the staff. Like you mentioned above, you can't really quote "getting it started." I'm going to take it to a place called Master Works in Madison Heights, MI. http://www.mwauto.com.

Here's the experience. I walk in and "Werner" who is the owner is in a meeting. One of the mechanics who happens to be standing up front, next to one of the three vettes on display says, "while your waiting, check out what we have out back, this is nothing." I walk through the door and I look at countless vehicles and about 15 guys all working on separate mechanical areas. Frame offs everywhere. He walks me around and gives me details about all the cars in there. Everyone of course is cordial, but looking busy. Shop was VERY clean. He spoke in terms of what I wanted not what he thought I might need. Just overall positive and professional staff.

I'll keep you all updated. If you do a search for these guys in other forums, you'll find all positive items... another plus.

Mostly had C1's and C2's in there. Amazing.

Oh yeah... my vette is always in the garage since I've gotten it. Good security system too. First thing I thought of after that first guy gave me the quote was always lock everything. My wife was happy about that too. ;)

Werner and his staff do first-class work - he's a retired GM engineer, and a fellow Michigan NCRS member. We have our annual NCRS Christmas party (about 100 people) at his shop next Friday. :)

I've head of that shop and it sounds like a real nice place to work with. Good luck.

"Werner and his staff do first-class work - he's a retired GM engineer, and a fellow Michigan NCRS member. We have our annual NCRS Christmas party (about 100 people) at his shop next Friday. :)"

This sounds like the kind of shop that I would like to find to work on my car. The NCRS is a fine organization and you should look to join it to find out more about your car and what you can do to it. You have adopted the right philosophy which is to research and investigate before you do anything. Next you have to develope a direction and then a plan to get there.

I would have Werner and his crew look at your car and find out what it needs to be a safe running car. I would then get it running, drive it and enjoy it and decide whether you want to go with a body off full NCRS or Concours restoration or you want to paint it purple ,put a crate engine with a blower in it or go somewhere in between. But I am a firm believer in driving these cars as they were intended when they were built.

I would have Werner and his crew look at your car and find out what it needs to be a safe running car. I would then get it running, drive it and enjoy it and decide whether you want to go with a body off full NCRS or Concours restoration or you want to paint it purple ,put a crate engine with a blower in it or go somewhere in between. But I am a firm believer in driving these cars as they were intended when they were built.

Too funny that you mentioned painting it "purple" the original color of the car was burgandy... which (and my wife agrees) looks better then the red. I will be scheduling a pickup to have my vette dropped off at Werner's shop this Saturday. Of all the places I've visited, I definitely got the best response from his crew in terms of what I need and want when it comes to budget.

I've also attached some "before" shots just so everyone can see the condition going in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom