Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Probably a stupid question, but...

TorchZ

Just wondering about the wheel wells on a mid-year. I was doing some brake work and saw some road grime, so I started scraping. Came down to bare fiberglass. They didn't have undercoating back then did they? And did I just scape stuff I wasn't supposed to? Or is it supposed to be just bare fiberglass in the wheel well? Thanks...:beer

wheelwelloo5.jpg

according to my '65 TIM&JG, it was suppose to be:
fiberglass, primer, body color, undercoating, than black-out with semi-gloss black paint.

I'd guess but maybe someone can confirm that the primer and body color wasn't too heavily applied - maybe mostly overspray from painting the rest of the body?
than undercoating was applied to to reduce damage from rocks and road debris, than the black-out semi-gloss paint was applies to give it a finished look.

on the front wheelwells (such as you are showing it looks to me) was undercoated at the top of the fender panel and about 3" below the fender above the the rubber flap on the side. The undercoating covers the whole back area to the bottom. On the front portion, the undercoating comes down about 6-8" from the top.

this all comes from the '65 TIM&JG.

You can see some of the undercoating still on your wheelwell area off to the right of where you were cleaning and rubbed thru to the 'glass so either the area you are questioning about either never got any undercoating or it had been removed already by previous work on the car.

i'd just clean it as good as possible and hit the underside with black semi-gloss paint to give it a nice freshened up look.

IH2LOSE said:
So today i get a call from the fellow I was getting some parts from for the 62 explaining the Six shooter is finally in stock and ready to ship.

He will be shipping it today and i should get it on monday.

I may be able to get it on befroe carlilse.

I post pictures as soon as I get it in my hands
hey Larry.....will Six Shooters cover the inside of the wheel wells?

Thanks Barry:)

I'll be putting it through a frame off in another couple years, once I get some room. When that happens, I guess the wheel well area on all 4 corners will get a good cleaning and get stripped down to the fiberglass. I guess I'll just start cleaning early.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom