Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Problem with power window motor on my 1977

• Thread starter Thread starter Blue Buick
  • Start date Start date
B

Blue Buick

I recently purchased a 1977 L-48 and the drivers window would not roll down. I checked and had power to the motor so I pulled the motor with the intention of replacing it. When I got it out I used jumper wires and hooked it to the battery. It worked fine both ways. Thinking it was a dirty connenction I cleaned what I could hooked the motor to its connection without installing it and when grounded it worked good both ways, problem solved. I reinstalled motor and it worked good in the garage. Took car down the block put window up and it would not go down. I had a new switch so decided to change that, once again the window worked great in my garage. This morning I started the car put the window up and it would not go down. It seems to not work when the engine is running but turning off the engine does not solve the problem by it self. The motor is old and that will be my next exchange unless anyone has some reason that starting the car prevents the window from working properly.

The one thing I would try is to run a ground from the battery to the motor housing just to see if it a ground is the issue. if it is then clean the motor mounting to the door to establish your ground.

Good luck. A lot of Corvette electrical problems are ground related.

The one thing I would try is to run a ground from the battery to the motor housing just to see if it a ground is the issue. if it is then clean the motor mounting to the door to establish your ground.

Good luck. A lot of Corvette electrical problems are ground related.

Thanks, I have resorted to changing the window motor and it is working so far. I am going to leave the door panel off for a few days to make sure.

If the old motor bench tests OK the motor is probably good. Clean it up and grease the gear and you now have a spare. These motors are usually good with a TLC (tender loving care). Before you put the door panel back on make sure the mounting connections are good and clean to maintain that good ground to the door.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom