Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Problems with electronic climate control

96corvetteLT4

Corvette
White '96 LT4 Coupe
I have a problem with the auto climate control in my '96.

It seems to work fine in manual, most of the time. In Auto mode, and some times in manual mode, I can not adjust the temperature warmer. I can adjust it lower, but not up. Also the light above the auto button is dim.

Anyone else had problems with theirs, or have ideas on what to look at, or repairs?

Thanks!

I have had similar problems, but when I push some of the buttons, they do not respond nor does the indicator light above the selected button illuminate. I took it apart to look at it and it is all solid state and I have no idea how to fix it. Hopefully someone else out there does.

Kurt

Same with my LT4, previous posts point to two possibilities:

Vacuum line under hood not tight

Circuit board that controlls the whole thing.

Search on the previous posts.

Mines still busted, intermittently

Ive had the same problem with mine intermittently. Some times it decides to change to the fan speed selector, it will go down but not up. Then sometimes its both.

Being an Electronics Technician it would lead me to believe its the circuit card controling the thing, but I haven't had time to tear into it and check it out. It would help to have some schematics. Does anyone know if these are available in the shop manuals or other aftermarket manuals?

"Search on the previous posts."

I have tried several searches, but no luck on finding anything for this specific problem.

problems like this... intermittent, are usually the A/C head unit. I don't know of anyone that fixes them, but I suggest you call around to some corvette salvage yards to try to find a good deal on a used one.

Pull it apart and clean ALL the contacts and connectors. They oxidize over time and camn become intermittant.

Also while it is out try and check all the solder joints, preferably under a microscope. These to can fail over time with all the bouncing around

I have the same problem on my LT4, sometimes I can change the fan speed and temp and sometimes not. I am going to take Corvette-Pilot advice and pull it apart and clean all the contacts.

I will look into mine this weekend.

Let us know how it goes if you get to yours before the weekend.

My 1996 had this same problem. I replaced the dash pushbutton unit with a used one from Vette2Vette.com and now it works fine. You can try pulling it out and taking the old one apart as I did and clean the contacts inside. The front part pushes into the back part with a slew of pin connectors that I think get dirty and stop it from working. I dont know if I really fixed the old one but I am almost sure the problem is in the pin connectors. You have to take the whole thing apart to get at them but its not really hard just be careful not to break one of the LEDs off. Get contact cleaner from Radio Shack and use a Q tip then very slightly bend the pins up or down in the same direction so they fit a little tighter. Let us know if this works.

problem with my 94 heat

I also have a 94 with electronic climate control. The a/c and fan work only on A/C. there is no heat, hence, when it is cold out, i am cold, when it is warm but a bit too cool for A/C, i can't raise the temp of the air. the coolant flow is fine. it seems to be in the controls somewhere, but i can't figure it out. Any similar problems? is it the electronic control itself?
I have read the posts for the '89 climate control fix and it is a totally different system.

Climate control

The manual says to pull the LH & RH courtesy light fuses and the radio fuse for 1 minute to reset the control. I tried it and it works fine. But for about a day or two and then the problem starts all over again. I cannot control most of the buttons and the temp. control rocker will not increase the temp. For those of you that want to reset the temp. to a more desired temp. degree, try this and it will work temporarily. If anyone knows the permanent solution please post it. Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom