Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Process Question-Finishing the car

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I would like your .02 on this. I have reached a point with the 69 project where I really don't know where to turn next.

I have a thousand little things to do from finish the body trim, chrome, and weather strips, to the interior, air cleaner, engine bay detail, convertible top, etc. etc.

How should I proceed?

Remember, the deadline is to be ready by Sharkfest.

Nikki thinks I should start at the nose of the car and work my way back each linear inch finishing things as I go.

Sounds like a good plan. At least I would have a starting and ending point (front-rear bumper).

What do you guys think? Should I do that, or max the engine, then body, then interior, the the top, etc. etc.

Not that I have lost my inspiration, but I have reached a point of saturation and don't know where to turn next.

My personal opinion,
The nose to tail approach is going to have you running back and forth too much.

If you break it up into specific job's you'll be able to have all your part's and tool's laid out for each job.

I'd do the motor compartment first , then the weather stripping and trim piece's, then bumper's and last would be the interior.

Just seem's easier and you'll be happier seeing each part finished, instead of a little here and a little there.

My .02 cents

Rick

Well, being in the construction field and dealing with this everyday, I would recommend what Rick suggests. It's much easier to mobilize one phase at a time then to set-up and break down for multiple phases running concurrently. Naturally you need all the materials to complete each phase before beginning,but something tells me you have that under control;)

Stop wasting time, get out there and get that baby finished:L :L :L
Carlo

I am suprised beer wasn't put into the plan haha

I would do motor first after all if it dont run it wont take you there
second I would do the top if you do interior before that interior wont stay clean.
third I would do the exterior
fourth the body

Chris think function over any form for now.

Get that top ASAP.

Work your way through the things that will allow use of the car while you consider what would be next in the order for looks.

Allow the most time to getting the drivetrain settled in. It will be a learning curve for awhile till you know pretty much what to expect after you start it & drive off ( with that inevitable grin )

Good Luck Posse Brother!

I'm with BT on this one. Get that top sorted out, because you never know when it might rain. Making it tight and right will give the car a "almost there" feel. The little stuff like trim can wait till be the last items.

--Bullitt

Good point guys. The poor top on my car is in terrible shape. I will eventually post some pics of it up on my website. I think I am going to build a wooden frame out in the shop to support it as if it is on the car, then take it all apart, clean, blast, weld new metal, then slowly bring it back to life.

One thing I will work on today is basically several misc. areas of the car. I have a couple of boxes of new parts of all kinds that need to be installed. If I go ahead with a shot gun approach with thest items it will clear more room on the shelf.

I called on the rims, and he verified that it will be quite some time before they get to my door step. As of now the order is in, and the work has been scheduled, but my rims may still be a large chunk of billet aluminum somewhere in California.

Order of thought's

1) Power train
2) Roof
3) Suspension & steering
4) On the ground ( rims/tires brakes)
5) Run time ( break in issues.. gotta drive it to find the gremlins )
6) Nice to have's

And Chris..I know you hate this approach... but farm a job or two out...that will free up your mind a bit.

Mike

PS It's Looooooookkkkkiiinnnggggggggggg GGGGoooooooood!

Im thinking it should be running and handling reliably to your standards first Chris, power train faults are a total bummer on the road.
So...
1st all the motor and drive train complete and road tested.
2nd the ragtop, get it water tight , you may freak if caught in a downpour and saw rain dripping allover your interior electronics. plus in florida, you may have to pull all the interior stuff back out to get it dried out..yipes.
3rd the electrical and computer wiring all tested out. specially your excellent tunes setup;) that way you can hear your favorites while finishing the non functional stuff. Im also from the frank loyd wright school of thought with this one.."form follows function".
save the cosmetics for last and take your schweet time with that part.

Im betting youll make it to sharkfest even if some details arent finished.I mean whose car "is"totally finished anyway:gap
Tom

Had a great weekend. Spent time with 69Crazy (Louie). He and his wife are down from Oregon. We are discussing the electric headlight actuators and marketing opportunities.

Got the nose of the car finished. It took me 5 hours or so to get the front grilles in as with an aftermarket front clip, I had to make and drill all the mounting bracket holes.

Pulled the convertible top out of the front garage and took a long hard look at it. She is in BADDD shape. I have a new header bar and weatherstrips for it, but it is going to take a miracle to get it back together.

Going with finishing the motor first. I think then the top so that I can get the interior back in.

Keep the suggestions coming. One way or another we will get this thing done!

Wish you could have made the Orlando NCRS show. There was a Vert top vendor there that was great to talk to & had alot of reconditioned frames. I spent alot of time looking over his wares cause mine is pretty awful too.
Sadly I misplaced his card but picked his brain enough to determine mine is salvageable. Luckily I have the hardtop. Price these babies sometime (Yikes)
Glad to hear the top is in your plans, cause you will want to drive that Beast & the thought of no top dwells on you. Trust me I am still driving a fair weather car (no top) & it will get in the way more than you think.

The Rolling Restoration

I consider our 78 to have been a rolling restoration since she came into my life. I figure by the time we're done, we'll be ready to start at the beginning again! ;)

The item of most importance to me:
Safety and dependability. (Drive train, suspension and brakes)

Everything else comes after:
Appearance (Paint, exterior cosmetics and finally interior cosmetics)

Granted, some issues will be more demanding depending on present condition, but I firmly believe in a safe, reliable, driveable vehicle FIRST, then pretty it up from the outside to the inside.
Heidi

Chris,

Let me know if your looking for a top frame.

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom