Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Programming a new key FOB - HELP

Bertus

Corvette
2006 Black Vert
Long story short, my #1 Key FOB went through the wash and into the dryer. It was dead, so i ordered a new one. The guy at the dealership couldn't figure out how to program the new one, but after 30 minutes, we figured out the "dead" one was working. Came home, read the manual on how to add a new FOB, but it still isn't happening. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. Otherwise, back to the dealership next week. Thanks in advance.

Would you like the 4 procedures from the '06 service manual??
You should be able to program up to 4 fobs per the book...

Didn't know there were four ways. I found one procedure for adding a new FOB and one for erasing everything and starting over. I've tried the key in the trunk, turn it five times, put the FOB in the slot (stand of one foot, salute):D but nothing is happening.

Can you PM me a fax number?....I will send you all the pages....
Procedures are too long to be typing......

I bought a spare fob and I had could NOT get the instructions in the owners manual to work. I thought for sure that I had purchased a defective fob. Using various vet forums I found a dozen others that had come up with "voodooo' ways to try. After getting several e-mails I was able to piece together the below sequence that worked for me (and I sent out in multiple e-mails and it worked for others).

I SWEAR this is not a joke...it was the most frustrating thing that I ever did with a vet...but perserverance paid off.

PS- I had tried cutting the head off of a chicken and smearing the blood in the shap of a bow tie but that had no effect:L

I did all of the below steps with ..basically no time between them (except for about 10 to 15 secs that it took me to get into he house, get the unrecognized fob , and place it in the glove box slot. I do not know if all of the steps are required-just know it worked for me (and others)
  1. With a recognized FOB and the key attached to the fob (no other recognized or unrecognized fobs within 20 ft of the vehicle) start the vet and back it out of your garage.
  2. Pull the vet back into the garage..leave the vet running.
  3. With the vet still running pull up on the emergency brake.
  4. With the vet still running open and leave open the glove box door.
  5. With the vet still running open the drivers door (and leave open for the rest of this procedure)
  6. Shut the vet off as you normally do. DO NOT GO TO ACC mode.
  7. Press the hatch dash button once to unlatch the hatch. Do not raise the hatch..just leave the hatch unlatched.
  8. WIth the key attached to the fob (AND NO OTHER FOBS within 20 ft) insert the key (with the fob attached) into the hatch lock assembly and turn the key fully 5 times as fast as you can (ensuring a complete turn each time). LEAVE KEY WITH FOB ATTACHED IN THE HATCH LOCK. You should get a DIC message 'Ready to program FOB 3).
  9. Go get the unrecognized FOB (should still be 20 ft away) and place the unrecognized fob into the slot in the glove box with FOB buttons facing away from the driver. (I did this in about 10 to 15 seconds from getting the message)
  10. Very quickly (I estimate 5 sec) the DIC will read READY FOR FOB 4. At this point push the ACC ignition switch. The DIC will go blank.
  11. Immediately pull out the newly programmed FOB from the glove box slot and start pressing the newly programmed FOB buttons. At first you may not believe the buttons are doing anything but continue to press them and you will notice the hatch unlocking and the lights blinking (if you have this set up when you lock using the fob).
  12. The new FOB is now programmed. I recommend you place all of the fobs 20ft away and try EACH ONE (not just the new one). You will also notice that when you use the new fob (now fob 3) to start the car the radio, hvac, is no longer set to your liking.....My radio was tuned to a station I have neve listened to but as soon as I used my original fob all came back

FOBS

WOW.... so FOBS stands for Frickin Obnoxious BS? ;) (I couldn't get it to work from the instructions in the manual or the internet either) Anyway, thanks for all the information. I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know if it works. . Later.

I'm not sure if you've come across these instructions yet- this is from the 2006 service manual. These are the 4 procedures mentioned before.

Good luck...it seems like the dead chicken method might be your best bet :L

Tammy

I'm thinking I should stand on one foot, rub my stomach and smack myself in the face while chanting....something.?:confused To be continued.................

well....i give up. I've tried it with key fob #1 & 2 serveral times and can't get the display to show it's ready to program. Off to the dealer...after christmas. Thanks for all your help.

well....i give up. I've tried it with key fob #1 & 2 serveral times and can't get the display to show it's ready to program. Off to the dealer...after christmas. Thanks for all your help.
There seems to be 1 item missing in all of these posts. That's the one where you stand facing the Vette, click your heels together 3 times and chant "we're not in Bowling Green anymore...we're not in Bowling Green anymore....we're not in Bopwlikg Green anymore!"
Seriously, I would go back to a dealer, but not the one you've already been to. I bought another one for my C5, and the proceedure in the manual worked like a charm.
Andy

I bought a spare fob and I had could NOT get the instructions in the owners manual to work. I thought for sure that I had purchased a defective fob. Using various vet forums I found a dozen others that had come up with "voodooo' ways to try. After getting several e-mails I was able to piece together the below sequence that worked for me (and I sent out in multiple e-mails and it worked for others).

I SWEAR this is not a joke...it was the most frustrating thing that I ever did with a vet...but perserverance paid off.

PS- I had tried cutting the head off of a chicken and smearing the blood in the shap of a bow tie but that had no effect:L

I did all of the below steps with ..basically no time between them (except for about 10 to 15 secs that it took me to get into he house, get the unrecognized fob , and place it in the glove box slot. I do not know if all of the steps are required-just know it worked for me (and others)
  1. With a recognized FOB and the key attached to the fob (no other recognized or unrecognized fobs within 20 ft of the vehicle) start the vet and back it out of your garage.
  5. With the vet still running open the drivers door (and leave open for the rest of this procedure)
  7. Press the hatch dash button once to unlatch the hatch. Do not raise the hatch..just leave the hatch unlatched.
  8. WIth the key attached to the fob (AND NO OTHER FOBS within 20 ft) insert the key (with the fob attached) into the hatch lock assembly and turn the key fully 5 times as fast as you can (ensuring a complete turn each time). LEAVE KEY WITH FOB ATTACHED IN THE HATCH LOCK. You should get a DIC message 'Ready to program FOB 3).
  9. Go get the unrecognized FOB (should still be 20 ft away) and place the unrecognized fob into the slot in the glove box with FOB buttons facing away from the driver. (I did this in about 10 to 15 seconds from getting the message)
  10. Very quickly (I estimate 5 sec) the DIC will read READY FOR FOB 4. At this point push the ACC ignition switch. The DIC will go blank.
  11. Immediately pull out the newly programmed FOB from the glove box slot and start pressing the newly programmed FOB buttons. At first you may not believe the buttons are doing anything but continue to press them and you will notice the hatch unlocking and the lights blinking (if you have this set up when you lock using the fob).
  12. The new FOB is now programmed. I recommend you place all of the fobs 20ft away and try EACH ONE (not just the new one). You will also notice that when you use the new fob (now fob 3) to start the car the radio, hvac, is no longer set to your liking.....My radio was tuned to a station I have neve listened to but as soon as I used my original fob all came back
:confused :W

Programming the FOB-success

Although this is an old question, it helped me. I just finished programming a replacement FOB for my 2009 Z06. I just followed the instructions in the Owners Guide (page 2-7). The 10 steps are: 1. The vehicle must be off, 2. Both the recognized and the new transmitters (FOBs) must be with you, 3. Insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder located above the license plate, 4. Open the trunk (I just popped it a little), 5. Turn the key five times within five seconds (I made sure that I turned it all the way, and I turned it 6 times...to be sure), 6. The DIC displays READY FOR FOB #2, 3 or 4 (mine was a #1 replacement, but it didn't seem to matter), 7. Place the NEW FOB in the glove box FOB pocket with the buttons facing the passenger side, 8. A beep sounds once programming is complete (it finished in just a couple of seconds), 9. Press Acc. on the ignition switch when programming is complete, 10. Press (the unlock symbol) on the newly programmed FOB. The End. It worked for me the 2nd time I tried. I think that is took 2 tries because I didn't twist the trunk key all the way the 1st time.
BTW-Before I did this I called my Chev dealer parts dept for a price. They said that the FOB could not be programmed by me. He said that it could only be done by the dealership. (I think that they wanted $159 for the FOB and about $40 for the programming. I bought my replacement FOB from Performance Corvettes, Orlando, FL for $111. I'll do business with them again.)
Good Luck!

Programming FOB for 2005 C6 Coupe

THIS ACTUALLY DOES WORK - NO JOKE!

Yes, you feel foolish trying to memorize the nutty steps below. Sure you're wife looks out the window watches you running around like a rabbit and wonders when you started drinkin' hard...again. Indeed the engineers at Chevrolet are grinning ear to ear watching us do this arcane dance - great humor for them at our expense. But who cares IF it can save us a buck or two AND actually works. After several tries where I got one of the steps out of order or wrong, I finally decided to move the unprogrammed FOB even further away than the prescribed 20'. Then karma rained down on me and botta-bing, it actually worked! Much thanks to nucferr for the original post and painstakingly figuring out and writing down all the steps. Amen and hallelujah!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom