Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

progress pics on '78

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
got the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, heat riser vacuum control unit, AC compressor, AIR pump, and alternator brackets installed plus the AIR pump and alternator on the newly painted motor block.
Wow! this thing is starting to look like a motor again!
Motor reassembly

ran into a few snags yesterday and it goes goes to show that no matter how many detailed pics you take as you go thru disassembly that you never take enough - I come across a bracket that I negrleted to mark what it is and where it's from and even after going thru every sinmgle picture i took and the AIM and the shop manual I still can't figure out where it goes!!
also can't figure out why there is an empty space in the area where the AIR pump and the AC support bracket bolt to the block - the space is between the two brackets at the bolt hole area but I know if there had been a spacer used there I would have put it in the baggie along with the bolt that was used there and on the piece of paper inside the bad I used to identify what the hardware is. I'm actually thinking one end of this unidentified bracket may go there and it fills in that empty space perfects but than I can't figure where the other end attached to

Last snag for the day was I can't figure out how to get the %*@%*#%& fuel pump reinstalled!!!! I search the archives and read the advice on past posts regarding this but I can't managed to get it to slide in and install. I turned the motor over to TDC on the #1 cylinder to have the rod on the proper spot on the cam's lobe, put a longer bolt in the hole in the engine block but it won't slide in. in fact as I would turn the motor over I'm not even seeing the rod move at all as the lobe of the cam goes around as I expected to see. Good thing I'm not trying this after the motor is already back in the car or else I'd REALLY be upset and frustrated.

other than the few snags from yesterday i'm very pleased how the looks of the motor turned out. What an improvement from the "before" condition!! :)

Pics of the engine look great Barry. You're doing a fantastic job. -John

Sweet.. That looks great Barry.. As to the leftovers:No clue, sorry. And i dont think it'll help if i take a pic of the 82 for you, if you think it would let me know and i will..

:w
-Stefan

well, we got the fuel pump on finally.
i figured out the mystery bracket so that's not a concern anymore and as for the missing spacer....... well, call me Bubba because 3 flat washers work just as well!!

today is just a "joy" working on the motor some more. It feels like 2 steps forward and than 7 steps back...........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom