Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

PROJECT REBUILD 1992 #474 Thread

53 Blue Flame

I'm starting this thread with the purpose of showing the rebuilding and re-birth of 1992 #474. This car was wrecked at the drag strip when the right rear tire blew at high speed. The car ended up riding atop the guardrail, bending the frame. The passenger side frame rail was damaged by the guardrail as well as most of the floorpan.

The car will be rebuilt and re-born with a replacement LT5 and ZF trans. It is currently Bright Aqua with light grey interior. The new color scheme will most likely be Medium Blue Metallic (an 87-89 color) with black interior. It may even sport a white GS stripe down the middle....maybe??? Still thinking about this one.

Mods will be 4:10 gears, port/polishing, OBX headers, Hurst shifter and eventually a Marc Haibeck chip. It will also sport a set of Dymag GenII's. 17x13 and 17x11 with meaty 335x35x17's on the rear and 315x35x17's on the front.

07/16/11

Picked up the car today at Dominic's home in Chicago. We wrestled with a few things for a while but finally got it loaded and back to Indiana. Here are some pics of the when the car was wrecked and also a few taken while picking the car up today. I plan to buy anything needed for the rebuild at Carlisle next month. I'll post periodic updates as the build progresses. I don't anticipate the frame and floorpan repair to be done until sometime in September. At that point, the progress should be fairly rapid.

Brett

Drag Strip Aftermath
30hpq93.jpg

Picking up the car today
21o3qxx.jpg

2mzfl28.jpg

Nice project Brett. Shouldn't be quite as involved as the 88. :L

LOL. Yep, this will be alot easier and I'll actually get to drive it. The "88" is too delicate with the simplex chains in the PhaseII.

The car goes to the frame shop on Tues. August 2nd.

And....we're off!!!!

Looks like a mess Brett, I'm sure it will be very nice when done. :thumb

i10fwy
87-070

Change fo plans. The car won't be going to the frame shop until later. I decided to build my 90 for a daily driver for now. I found a Callaway AeroBody kit and will straighten the 92 at a later date. My estimate for frame straightening and floor repair was only $1200. I'll just paint it and wait for a drivetrain to come along.

I'll make a Thread about the 90 later on.:w

Brett,So is 474 getting the Aerobody or the 90?

More than likely, both cars will receive the Callaway AeroBody treatment. The 90 will, for sure.

OK Brett, where do you come up with this stuff, A Aerobody would look great on 87-070

i10fwy
87-070
Surprise, AZ

I found a narrow body AeroBody kit and will widen it for my ZR-1. I'll make new molds just in case I ever have a mis-hap.

The fun is all in the thrill of the chase for parts!!!

Huh, Perhaps you should make molds for both and remember your friends :happyanim:

Chris
i10fwy
87-070

I'm going to make molds off both narrow and ZR1 versions just for myself and future projects. I won't be able to sell any Callaway panels though, due to Callaway's trademark. I don't need any lawyer bills. LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom