Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Proper Procedure to lift C6 for Oil Change

mbayr00

Corvette
2006 Coupe
I have hear of using a plank (2x4, 2x6 ?) across the chassis (I don't understand how this is done, meaning were is it placed (frame, suspension) and of course where is the floor jack placed on the plank? I also have heard about jack pucks which fit in to the four slots in the frame. I assume this is for when the C6 is lifted with a four point lift. Any input as to which is better - aluminum or the "hockey puck" material? I have purchased an adapter for the floor jack that specifically fits the chassis slot, of course that only allows one wheel to be lifted! Any input would be helpful!

mbayr00 said:
I have hear of using a plank (2x4, 2x6 ?) across the chassis (I don't understand how this is done, meaning were is it placed (frame, suspension) and of course where is the floor jack placed on the plank?

On my C4 I drive it up on 2 short lengthwise sections of 2x6 to get the car far enough off the ground to get a floor jack under the front cross member. Maybe that's what they were refering to instead of crossways.

XS650 said:
On my C4 I drive it up on 2 short lengthwise sections of 2x6 to get the car far enough off the ground to get a floor jack under the front cross member. Maybe that's what they were refering to instead of crossways.

I just did my first C6 oil change today.

3,100 miles, 66% life indicated, but since this is the first change, I wanted to get the break-in oil out a bit earlier than my later changes will be.

I also wanted to use my big floor jack to jack in the center recommended chassis point, but that jack won't clear.

So, I have a little 12V electric sizzor jack that I use for my '40 coupe, with only 4" ground clearance in front.

1775908elecjack.jpg

I brought that jack to the side and used the outer forward driver's side point (where people use 'pucks' for a four point lift, no puck needed for my electric jack). Worked great, except it also lifts the rear wheel almost off the ground, when I have it fully extended. I placed one jackstand under the front suspension just as a precaution, left the jack in place, put did not even need to get under the car!

I've never seen a car so easy to change the oil on -- the drain bolt is staring at you from driver's side, and the filter is right there within easy arm's reach, too, and oriented straight up and down.

Don't take the straight up and down bit for granted.

The bozo in charge of this little detail for my 2000 4.6L V8 F150 shoehorned the filter in at 90 degrees to vertical, and also recessed it into such a location that you have to turn the front wheels "just so" in order to access the thing. I did the truck oil change today back to back with the 'vette and it was a world of difference. Once the truck filter is loosened, there is no way to keep oil from draining 1/2 quart all over the "A" frame and various other suspension parts. Ugh. Lotsa degreaser needed to clean up car and driveway, since you can't predict the spatter, streams.

Anyhow, get a good filter wrench. Instead of the old style strap wrench, I recommend a one piece - it is lots easier. But you need to be sure to size it onto the replacement PF46 filter while still in the store. There are lots of sizes for the one-piece that only are off by 1MM, so while it may seem to fit on the cartridge, the one you really want goes all the way down to the splines, and is 100% positive engagement with those splines, not just a 'friction' push on.

Anyhow, I can recommend that even those of you who have given up on doing your own maintenance ought to give it a shot -- it couldn't be easier, and you will get to see the work of art that is the underside of your car, and that beautiful motor!

:beer

I have a kwiklift and think it is awesome for both oil changes and for detailing (sides and bottom). It lifts it the perfect height and it is basically on big ramps. not great for taking wheels off but good for everything else. You can use the bridge and bottle jack for removing wheels. worht every penny IMHO.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom