Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

pulling the numbers

J

jmp

Hey there! I'm looking for websites that have info on were to find all the parts #s for my 72. I know there's at least one site out there, but I kinda lost the address!

As an aside, the only number I've found on my block is 3970010, and I found it at the back of the block, underneath the distributor, seen from the driver's side -- which isn't where I was told it would be and it isn't in the form I expected. Of course, my car is not number's matching, so this isn't unexpected, but can anyone tell me anything about this block number?

What you found was your blocks casting number. Next to it should be the casting date in coded form. I think a letter for the month and 2 or 3 numbers for the day and year. You'll want to look on the front of the passenger side head for your vin# and engine code.

There are numbers all over the place you'll want to find.

The transmission, rearend, distributor, starter, intake, even the frame has number's stamped in 2 or 3 places.

I know there are books out there with listings of numbers and locations. I'm sorry I don't know the name of these books but you should be able to get them though any of the corvette catalogs.

Have fun finding all of them.,

Rick

Go to www.ncrs.org Point and click your way to the "store" and order an NCRS Judging Manual for your car. MORE info than you would want to know. Chuck

3970010 is a corvette number, but it was used for many years. You need the casting date that is located on the right hand side opposite the casting number. Chuck

Go to the libary and get a book called
Chevrolet By The Numbers
It'll have what you're looking for.

As Rick said, the 3970010 is the block casting number. This number was used in vettes from 69 till 80. It was also used in all types of Chevy cars and trucks during that period. So this number really does not tell you too much. Need to check the stamp pad, a machined surface on the block in front of the passanger side head. Should be two sets of numbers stamped there. Post those and we may be able to tell you what you have.

tom...

3970010 was a widely used 350 block and it was also availabe in both 2 bolt and 4 bolt mains. No way to tell other than pull the pan or know your stamping numbers.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom