Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pulls Right During Acceleration

USNA1969

Corvette
1972 Big Block/4-Speed
My '72 pulls to the right during acceleration and returns to center when I push in the clutch or let off the gas. It doesn't seem to pull either way during straight and level driving. Any ideas?

My '72 pulls to the right during acceleration and returns to center when I push in the clutch or let off the gas. It doesn't seem to pull either way during straight and level driving. Any ideas?

Inspect anything in the rear suspension that affects the wheels' toe settings.

Another thing is the thrust angle. I saw a post on another forum the owner had just got it aligned and the shop had all the trailing arm shims on the same side of both control arms. No mention of it pushing but it sure seems odd. My thought is that the rear wheels would be pushing at an angle compared to the front. Exaggerated drawing, but:
| | front

\ \ rear

Loose Idler Arm,Ball Joint,or Control Arm Bushing can cause a pull under acceleration.:thumb

Talking to a friend about it and he thought it might be the clutch pack. Is that possible? It pulls on dry pavement where both wheels should be seeing the same torque.;shrug

I had the same torque-steer problem on a '72 coupe I owned a while back. This was after a full alignment after replacing all worn front and rear suspension components. The tires on the car at that point were kind of beat and the alignment mechanic suggested to go ahead and replace the tires which I did. Much to my surprise, that fixed the torque-steer. Who would have thought.:)

Just a shot in the dark. I had a car and put new tires on it. It pulled to one side. Changed tire from side to side, and it pulled to the other side.

Tire man called the tire a "runner" got new tire after finding which one and it drove straight.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom