Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

pulls to right

jbonifas

Corvette
1981 silver/blue: two tone
I recently had my 81 aligned and the car still pulls to the right. The shop had it in several days and I supervised for some time. Overall, the shop did a great job and appeared to know what they were doing. I didn't specifically ask for any specs, the machine pretty much had it programed in. Everything was right on but the rear caster. The shims and adjustment was pretty rusty and the tech was having a hard time with it and I was in a hurry so I told him to blow it off. I figured as long as the front was on track the pull would be gone. Wrong, still pulls. If I get the rear caster in spec do you think the pull will go away. We already tried swapping tires.
Jeff

Actually it may have been toe-in. We adjusted the camber but something was still off.

How bad is the pull? Does it happen on all roads, or only on 'crowned ones?
May we assume that you checked tire pressures with a good gauge?
Does it pull all the time, or with any brake application?
With the rusty unders, are all brakes fully releasing, including the parking brake? Is the wear even on the pads?

The toe-in is usually what's responsible for pulling to the right or left.

I had a Charger that did that once, had it aligned and still pulled. Ended up the belts in the right tire had slipped and the tire was causing the problem. Try trading your front tires and see if it pulls the other way.
Just thought of another thing you might check. Power steering control valve leaking past the port that assists right turns. You could check this easily by disconnecting the cylinder ram from the frame bracket and see which way it drives when the engine is started. you should be able to push and pull on the ram if it is properly balanced.

Thanks guys.
Whale-pulls all the time noticably, annoying
-No effect when braking
-may be some brake drag on front right, that is the direction it is pulling
-tire pressure is normal.
-already swapped tires, no effect.
-Will try the PS thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom