Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

putting a big block in a C1 Corvette

L88 crazy

Corvette
1972 Blue T top
I want to put a 427 big block into my 57 to 60 Hot Rod Corvette project that I am planning to do when I find a non-numbers matching car shell. What do I do to make this work? It is possible to do this because I have seen a guy on Ebay currently selling a 59 Corvette with a 396 big block installed.

I know for sure it will fit. I am using a tubeular chassis under mine.

52520567-9d7b-02000180-.jpg

The one on ebay looks like a real interesting car, These cars used a plate that mounted to the front of the small block to mount the motor.So someone had to weld some brackets onto the frame to use the conventanal motor mounts.

I am sure this must be a beast to try and steer at low speeds with all of that motor sitting on the front end and no power steering.

The car on ebay looks like a great canditate for a tupe chassis conversion

Good luck

I am currently building a '59 with a big block. Here is a link to some pictures: http://www.carols62.com/59
I think you will find that it is just about impossible to fit a big block, headers, stock suspension and steering in a stock C1 frame. I would suggest that you go with one of the aftermarket frames that use C4 suspension front and rear. I built one car by modifying a stock frame to accept C4 suspension and I can tell you that you will get a stronger and much more rigid frame by choosing one of the aftermarket frames. Plus it is much easier to fit the drivetrain into a frame that does not have the stock X member.
Charles

Charles. What a fantastic project. That '59 is going to be a monster.
Those 2 EBAY cars are a little crude but have possibilities. The white one looks to have been setting for a long time and the black one has a lot of repair work needed.

Well the black one did not sell. bidding stopped around 30,000.00

I was going to bid on the white one but it is right around what my maximum bid would be and it has not reached its reserve yet.

How cool would it be to restore it as it sits now

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom