Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Q-Jet Rebuild

Corvette
08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe
Has anyone rebuilt a 795 Q-Jet? The carb on my 81 is an M4ME not the E4ME as came from the factory. Fuel is leaking from around the throttle rod. I have seen kits, and throttle rod bushings in the various catalogs. Does the rebuild have a chance for success or is the prefference to replace it with an updated Edelbrock Q-jet copy? It's gonna be a long winter, since I can't drive it for awhile I like to make some improvements.

Dale

------------------

Dale,

I had the Q-Jet rebuilt twice on my 81, still had surging problems. I gave up on it and went with the Edelbrock, for about $225 you can't beat it. I have heard many people say that when a Q-jet runs it runs great, when it doesn't run right it will drive you nuts.

As for rebuilding the carb yourself, I don't think it's all that tough to do, there is just a bunch of small easy to lose parts that's all. The upside of doing it yourself is you'll feel better about it. If you have a digital camera take plenty of pictures in case you forget how something goes back together, lay out the parts on an old light colored sheet where they won't get knocked onto the floor.

There are also a couple books on Q-jet rebuilding...Barnes & Noble should have them.

Scott

Fuel leaking from the throttle shaft is usually caused by leaking well plugs. What is the carb number? It's on the left side ne
ar the back. It should start with 1708????
Mike

------------------
Stingray6974
tracdogg2@aol.com
69 350/350 4speed coupe
74 L-48 coupe (restoring)

The carb number is 17059228
Haynes Corvette Repair lists this # as an M4MC however the carb does have an electric choke.

Dale

Stingray6974 said:
Fuel leaking from the throttle shaft is usually caused by leaking well plugs. What is the carb number? It's on the left side near the back. It should start with 1708????
Mike

Dale,
You have an old design carb that someone has upgraded with an electric choke. I suggest you throw that carb away. Do like Scott 81 said and get an eldebrock performer afb with electric choke. It's almost a bolt-on, you just have to change the fuel line. Mike

------------------
Stingray6974
tracdogg2@aol.com
69 350/350 4speed coupe
74 L-48 coupe (restoring)

the 17059228 carb is from a 1979 L-82 corvette with auto trans and A/C it had the std hot air choke stock

------------------
corvette owner since 1959.present ride 1999 C5 coupe

Thanks for the great info. Scott replaced his Q-jet with a 600 cfm performer series. I'm guessing his was originally a 795 cfm the same as what is on the engine now. The car has lots of power which I don't want to give up. What's your take on 600 vs 795 should I spend the big bucks on the larger carb or is the 600 comparble?

Dale

------------------
Dalesvette200.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom