Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about my build job number

ThomC

Corvette
1965 L79 Red Convertible
I have read that these job numbers ran from 1 to 500, but what does the "s" stand for? It's an AO Smith body.

Dropped my original drippy tank and put in a new Quanta. Unfortunately, my mechanics chops came up a bit short and I couldn't for the life of me get the tank and new straps to move 3/4 inch rearward to get the filler neck to line up correctly under the lid. Re-using the original straps was impossible as they were both toast. Off we went to the professionals (I know my limits). I felt a little better when the real mechanics told me the tank gave them quite a fight too (they however, managed to coax that 3/4 inch from it).

Most people have trouble with the repro straps and if possible use there old ones, or buy some good used ones.

Tom M

ThomC, I have a Smith body that had 1140 in the same location. I also found 40 on the dash frame right below the speaker. I guess Smith and St Louis used their own set of #'s.. Kurt

My St. Louis #500 build......

Build500-bulkhead-500.jpg

Bulkhead in front of gastank.

Build500-firewall-500.jpg

Firewall.

Build500-dr-door2-500.jpg

Driver's door.

ThomC said:
Dropped my original drippy tank and put in a new Quanta. Unfortunately, my mechanics chops came up a bit short and I couldn't for the life of me get the tank and new straps to move 3/4 inch rearward to get the filler neck to line up correctly under the lid. Re-using the original straps was impossible as they were both toast. Off we went to the professionals (I know my limits). I felt a little better when the real mechanics told me the tank gave them quite a fight too (they however, managed to coax that 3/4 inch from it).

What they fail to tell you about the new tank is that the weld seam flange on the new tank is NOT bent down locally where the straps pass the flange; they WERE on the production tank - that's why the new straps are so hard to attach and why it's so hard to locate the filler neck fore-aft relative to the body opening. Check the bent flange on the old tank - if you do the new one the same way, it FALLS into place.
:beer

JohnZ said:
What they fail to tell you about the new tank is that the weld seam flange on the new tank is NOT bent down locally where the straps pass the flange; they WERE on the production tank - that's why the new straps are so hard to attach and why it's so hard to locate the filler neck fore-aft relative to the body opening. Check the bent flange on the old tank - if you do the new one the same way, it FALLS into place.
:beer

:BOW

John - now I'm thinking that you may have forgotten more about Corvettes YESTERDAY than I will ever know.

I'll check those flanges on my old tank and post some photos for the benefit of the next guy who needs to install a new Quanta.

Thomc

There is an excellent article in the January Corvette enthusiast magazine written by Johnz that explains these numbers.

I really dont want to sound like a brown noser but ,Johns articles are worth more then the subscription price. I highley recomend this magazine to any one who wants to learn more about our cars,or works on one.

Larry,

I'm with you on that. John's articles were enough of a draw for me to subscribe. Now I need all the back issues too!

Thom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom