Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

question about tires

D

Deusxmachine

I need new tires for my 1990 vette. 275/40-17 front and 315/35 -17 rear. I dont want to spend over a thosand on them. Sumotumo at tire rack are the only set i have seen that are affordable. Does anyone have any opions or experiance with this brand. Are there any other online tire dealers or brands that sell in this price range. thanks for any help

I did this search about 6 months ago and eventually bought the same size you are asking about with 5-spoke ZR-1 style rims....I have driven my 96' LT4with these Sumitomo's for about 600 miles (garage queen) so far and to be quite honest, for the money they are great!

Man does that 'FAT' rear tire look neat!!

They grab well, no tread noise and they seem to be wearing just fine...if you want to save a few bucks, do it...you will not be sorry!

I talked to the 'Vette Expert' at Tire Rack as I was looking for a mid priced tire set for my 93. He recommened the Kuhmo MX. I only bought the 2 for the back. I took his price to Discount Tire and they matched it plus $20 and tax out the door($510).

I am using Y2K rims so the 2 I bought were 18" and they were a bit more than the 17" tire.

So far noise, ride, traction seem to be good. I have only put a few cold weather miles on them so I can't give a good report yet.

I just put a set of Perelli's on my 89" for under $900. I found them on Tire Rack, took the price to a local Mr. Tire and he matched it. The tires are a little noisey on grated concrete but otherwise so far so good. I have under 500 miles on them so I can't comment too much.
Lee

I have 4 275 40R17's Sumotumo HTRZII's on my 95 and I like them. I have put about 12,000 miles on them over the last year. I haven't had to have them balanced again, and the traction is good. I took it to the "Tail of the Dragon" last October and I couldn't complain. I have neglected to rotate the tires like I should so the rears look about 70% and the fronts look about 90%. I was out the door for $513 for the set mounted and balanced. When these are gone I will probably buy another set. My wife's car will be needing a new set probably this summer and I'm thinking about putting a set on her Grand Prix too. I'm sure that there are better tires on the market, but I learned that I run out of talent and "cajones" before the tires and suspension do. I really don't think you can go wrong with them.

Brett

I bought the sumitomos from tirerack a couple of years ago and they have been great tires. I didn't expect much for the price, but they have held up remarkably well for a budget tire. But in all honesty I don't know how people can tell the difference between tire brands, I certainly can't. I used to work in a tire store years ago, so I had a chance to try different tires on my car, and I couldn't tell the diff between the pricey ones and the cheap ones. Even tried them on wet, rainy streets, and there was no difference.

Look at tirerack. They have some Kuhmo Ecsta tires, sets from $440 - $600 depending on performance choices. I've used Kuhmo tires on my cars for a few years now, even for auto-crossing in stock classes (in another car), and I love them. Really good tire at a really good price. I sound like an ad for them, don't I?

Thanks for all the help guys im going to go with sumitomos from tire rack

I appreciate the information everyone posted - it's very helpful. I have Potenza SO/2s on my '96 CE LT4 and will likely need to replace them later this season after several autocrosses, so I'll keep this information handy. Thanks!

Barbie

In a few weeks I am getting new Kumos. I checked tire rack and a few other places. When everything was said and done I ordered tires from my local dealer 2 blocks down the street. After factoring in shipping , the extra cost for road hazard and mounting and balancing, it will cost me less right here.
I am getting the Kumo ECSTA ASX for my 90 for $132 each mounted and balanced with road hazard included.

Glenn
:w

father & son

vette1_15_6-14.jpg
I have 84, went to discount tire, they replaced my ori. goodyears with Falkens. They were 16s, not 17s, but the price out the door was $408.00. The ride and handling is great, compared to what i had. And the price wow!!

It would be intresting to do a 16 to 17 price comparison.

Glenn
:w

Deusxmachine said:
I need new tires for my 1990 vette. 275/40-17 front and 315/35 -17 rear. I dont want to spend over a thosand on them. Sumotumo at tire rack are the only set i have seen that are affordable. Does anyone have any opions or experiance with this brand. Are there any other online tire dealers or brands that sell in this price range. thanks for any help
Check out the TireRack. I am interested in some tires for my 2002 and after reading the many reviews on various tires, it looks like Avon has the best overall price and quality combination. I was not happy to see that information, being a retired GoodYear man, but unless something changes my mind I will be buying Avon for the highest tread wear, sound, cornering, and lowest cost factors.
Good luck,
Gary

My local mechanic recommended Falkens for my C4 last year and I am very pleased. I don't race or drive at excessive speeds and the ride is good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom