Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question - brighter dash light bulbs that aren't hotter

hcbph

Corvette
86 Red Convertible
I have an 86 Convertible with the four 881 D8 bi-pin bulbs in the instrument panel. I replaced a couple of burnt out bulbs but before I found the right ones, my autoparts store had some 891's (which I found out afterwards were 8 watt halogens vs the 4 watts for the 881's). The bi-pin bulbs are the ones with the 2 wire contacts that stick straight out from the bulb and plug into the socket/fitting and can be switched from the front of the dash without removing it.

Before I found how many watts those 891's were, I tried one in the instrument panel and really like the brightness they provided to the dash. Had really good illumination but the possible additional heat they generate made me nervous so I ordered and put in the proper 881 bi-pin bulbs. The 891's I also found are rated for 500 hours vs 2000 for the 881's, apparently the 891's are for the 3d tail light from what I've since found out.

My question: is there something available in a bi-pin that puts out the illumination like the 891's do without the additional heat? I'd like to get something with the additional illumination that can go in from the front like the bi-pins do without having to remove the instrument panel (nervous about breaking something while removing a instrument panel) but don't put out any more heat than the original 881's do.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Electrically speaking, so long as you are dealing with incandescent light bulbs, brighter light equates to higher wattage, which equates to more heat. PERIOD! Can't get around it, sorry.

Wishful thinking

I was hoping there was something like a xenon or led type light that might work and put out more light without more heat and be electrically compatible - rats.
You confirmed what I suspected but was hoping there was an alternative.
Thanks for the reply.

Paul

I was hoping there was something like a xenon or led type light that might work and put out more light without more heat and be electrically compatible - rats.
You confirmed what I suspected but was hoping there was an alternative.
Thanks for the reply.

Paul

There MAY be an LED replacement out there, I wouldn't know. Most likely it would require a current limiting resistor in line bcause of the 12vdc supply.

bulbs

check out this website for low heat bulbs. just had my cluster rebuilt by him and it works great. he also sells part for those who wish to do their own work. Batee.com

Batee's website

check out this website for low heat bulbs. just had my cluster rebuilt by him and it works great. he also sells part for those who wish to do their own work. Batee.com

Appreciate the info. I'd looked at that site the other week. From what I could find it looks like everything requires removing the instrument cluster. Mine has the bi-pin bulbs currently so they can be done from the front. I'd really like to avoid having to pull it out, my luck I'd break something. It is better, though I'd love to see it a little brighter but I can live with it the way it is if necessary.

Thanks for the info though.

LED's

Well I found some bi-pin replacements for the 4 illumination bulbs. They're led's and I ordered a set to try them out.
This is the first set of bi-pins I've found, so it will be an experience.

I've replaced all the inside and outside bulbs on my last two Vettes with LEDs, but haven't gone inside the dash yet. There is now a huge selection of LEDs, although I don't know specifically about in-dash applications. The intense brightness of the LEDs is very cool, and useful too. Do a little research on the net for equivalent bulbs, and then check eBay for availability. The smaller bulbs are not expensive, but larger ones, like back up lamps, are pricey.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom