Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question ? Fuel pump on 1981 corvette

Wayne 1

Does anyone know what the best way to change the fuel pump on a 1981 corvette with a/c ? Would it be best to go from the top, the bottom, or through the finder weld on passenger side. From looking none of them look very easy. Plan on changing return line and feed line while i'm at it, and fuel filter also. Busted the fuel pump. Any idea's or how to do this would be a great help. Thanks Wayne.

I would think the bottom would be easier but regardless of which way you choose put your engine on #1 TDC first to position the cam lobe directly away from the pump. You can take your distributor cap off and crank it until the rotor is pointing at your alternator. Once you get your rotor pointing at #1 TDC remove the short bolt in the front of your engine block (right in front of the fuel pump) and install a longer bolt FINGER TIGHT to hold the fuel pump push rod up then change the pump. After getting the new pump installed REMOVE THE LONGER BOLT and put the shorter bolt back in.

I just walked out to the shop and looked at mine. From the bottom looks to be the only way without a lot of disassembly of other systems. The above post pretty much covers the process. Putting the longer bolt in before removing the pump holds the pump rod in the up position so you don't have to wrestle with it when you re-install the pump. As was said, be sure to remove the long bolt and replace it with the original short bolt before starting the engine.

Tom

About 25 years ago my son installed a new fuel pump in his '87 El Camino and it wouldn't pump. I went to his house to see what was going on and found the fuel pump push rod had been bent REAL bad when a previous owner had put a longer bolt into the front of the engine block and tightened it so tight it bent the push rod. I used a 2# hammer and blocks of wood and hammered the bent rod straight enough to be able to function so it's imperative the bolt is only installed FINGER TIGHT and then removed once the new pump gets installed. The most important thing of all however is to put the engine on #1 TDC to position the cam lobe away from the pump and then the pump will easily install.

So your son bent the rod??

Same as all your stories it reaches a dead end where same as Mighty Mouse you were there to save the day...

So your son bent the rod??

Same as all your stories it reaches a dead end where same as Mighty Mouse you were there to save the day...

I have a suggestion for you. Instead of bashing me over every single thing I say try contributing to this forum.

Thanks for the info, waiting on all my parts to get in, should be here tomorrow. Then jump into this project. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to all.:thumb

Thanks for the info, waiting on all my parts to get in, should be here tomorrow. Then jump into this project. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to all.:thumb

If your '81 is a daily driver don't expect a very long life out of your new pump. What brand did you buy?

If your '81 is a daily driver don't expect a very long life out of your new pump. What brand did you buy?
I got the AC stock replacement fuel pump. I'm trying to keep it all stock. It's not a daily driver, just use it to take out on weekends, and have some fun with from time to time.

I have a suggestion for you. Instead of bashing me over every single thing I say try contributing to this forum.

How is putting what you said together bashing you?

PS: Did you notice the likes given to my post? There is a heck of a lot of experience, knowledge, mechanical aptitude and skill in those people.

Last edited:
How is putting what you said together bashing you?

PS: Did you notice the likes given to my post? There is a heck of a lot of experience, knowledge, mechanical aptitude and skill in those people.

I had clearly stated "a previous owner" had bent the rod and I straightened it with a 2# hammer.

Now will you stay on topic and quit harassing me? The non-members who read your hateful posts aren't amused with your behavior.

TBTR
You're playing the victim card as usual. As a search showed, you've been run off more Corvette forums than most of us are or have been a member.

You straightened a rod with a 2# hammer? There are 2 types of straightness tolerance.
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing,Form Tolerances, Straightness,Straightness Tolerances,Taylor Rule 1,
Simply said, one with a diameter symbol in front of the value and one without the diameter symbol. The design intent changes the maximum material condition or the envelope of the feature of size. Welcome to real automotive engineering.

I spent 45 years of my life in design engineering in the automotive sector. I find your ridiculous claim to be an engineer to be insulting to my former profession.

I had clearly stated "a previous owner" had bent the rod and I straightened it with a 2# hammer.

So your saying the fuel pump wasn't working when your son got the car? Because if it was working then the only way to explain how it was, and then you finding the bent rod as the problem, is if it was bent by your son.

Regardless of who bent the rod, it's still a good example of what could happen if the bolt to hold the rod is over tightened.

Got finished with the fuel pump, hoses and filter today. Took her out for a test drive, and all went well and no gas leaks. On my 81 it has two bolts across from the fuel pump, the first one is a bracket that goes to transmission the one behind it is the one that holds the rod in place, so if anybody that is going to be doing this the bracket bolt is not the one you want, it the next one straight over from it. Dummy me thought it was the bracket bolt, I didn't see the one beside it so I dropped the rod, and it is no fun to get the rod back up. So don't use the bracket bolt if you have one on your 81, use the next one over and save your self a lot of trouble.:L:L:L:L. Thanks to all for there help and have a great day.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom