Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

question on tool purchase

ChuckG said:
My daughter graduated from the University of Delaware in 1992. She's a "Fightin' Blue Hen" alumni. :) She LOVED the school. LOTS to offer. It's big enough, yet small enough.

They've had some GREAT football teams over the past years. Hope your daughter likes it too. chuck

I'm a Delaware grad (class of '75) that has two sons at the U of D currently following in my footsteps. Hey, maybe they'll buy Vettes someday just like the old man! :lou

Vette66AirCoupe said:
I'm a Delaware grad (class of '75) that has two sons at the U of D currently following in my footsteps. Hey, maybe they'll buy Vettes someday just like the old man! :lou

why should they......... you have two sons, you have two vettes........ all they need to do is wait!
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

paul67 said:
Barry,
That kind of pic (beautiful) makes me want to go on a hunt for side-pipes this winter. So far I have resisted. If only fairly quiet ones were available I might take the plunge.

Paul,

There are at least three aftermarket manufacturers who are making repro sidepipes, and guess what, ? none of their noise levels are acceptable. All of them are so noisy, as to be unacceptable other then for a backstreet racer wanting to make more noise then someone without any mufflers.

The only decent mufflers, were those from General Motors, and sadly they are all sold out. Want to know why, ? because I bought everyone of them. ;LOL

I sold the complete lot a year ago, and although the new owner has paid for them in full, he never picked them up, and they still grace my over-the-garage storage space. They will be available sometime in the future, but they most certainly be priced accordingly.

I intend to keep a few for my own use, when ever he decides to drive down and pick them up. There's really nothing that compares to original equipment. :D

sp.JPG

Barry,
I own a Dremel tool, but I can tell you that I can count on one hand the number of time that I have used it in the last 5 years. There are too small to do any real work with, and a 1/4" air die grinder will get a lot more use! I have had a couple of real close jobs where I gould not get to it with the 1/4 grinder, and used the Dremel, but those jobs are few and far between. Buy the corded unit, and don't buy any options but the variable speed.

Regarads, John McGraw

thanks for the insight John :beer

since I don't have an air compressor and air tools like you and the vast array of other tools I'm sure you have I'm guessing I'll gey a little more use of of a dremel from necessaity that you may though since I'll most liely end up using it for things you would easily grab a more appropiate tool from your arsenal.

firstgear said:
I would like to complain to management....that there is a preference going on here for C2's over C1's.......certainly a C1 photo would have been acceptable......wouldn't it Heaven??????? :L ;LOL :rotfl ;LOL
You know we havent had a

"how come the C1'S have to share with the C2'S "

BarryK said:
thanks for the insight John :beer

since I don't have an air compressor and air tools like you and the vast array of other tools I'm sure you have I'm guessing I'll get a little more use of of a dremel from necessaity that you may though since I'll most liely end up using it for things you would easily grab a more appropriate tool from your arsenal.

Barry,

An air compressor is a very handy addition to any garage or workspace, but if ever you do purchase one, don't go out of your way to purchase every air tool you can get your hands on. It doesn't make much sense to run a 3 to 10 horsepower compressor to run a small hand tool. The word that comes to mind is inefficient. There are some tools such as zip guns that must run on air, however almost all the other air tools such as grinders, cut-off wheels, etc, can be bought to run on electricity, and they consume much less energy, not to mention the noise reduction in the work space.

Stepinwolf

Step
unfortunately, getting an air compressor and whatever are the best tools to work with it are decisions that I won't and can't deal with for a long time yet. Budgetary contraints and lack of garage space both dictate that it's going to be a long time until I have to deal with those issues.

Barry, my Dremel tool is probably one of the most favorite tools I own. i use it as a cut-off tool, a grinder and a polishing tool. There are a gazillion attachments to do all sorts of things that a larger tool can't access. I agree with a previous post that you should buy the most inexpensive corded, variable speed unit you can and then buy the attachments later that you need.

As far as a compressor, I just bought a small 1.5-HP, 3-gallon, 125-PSI compressor from Sears for less than $100 and it came with neat attachments and a hose. It's small and handy for those limited chores on the desktop. Now, it won't take the place of my 5-HP tank compressor, but it may be what you need for those odd jobs around the house. It is rated to drive a nail gun also. You might want to check it out. Good luck!!

By the way, nuthin' sounds better than a C-1 with a Duntov cam, solid lifters and off-road mufflers!!! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom