Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

question re: 4 speed setup in C1

CHEV66JB

Corvette
'59 Corvette #5366
Hi all,

In our '59, the 283 is from a 1966 Chevelle, so the starter is block-mounted. The original style starter for a '59 Corvette was bellhousing mounted, so I'm wondering what issues this may cause me, if any.

The original flywheel for the '59 was a 14" 168 tooth flywheel (part #3729004), and I'm wondering if with a block-mounted starter if I will be able to use that orig flywheel, or if I should go with a 153-tooth from a newer year engine. The tranny is going to be a T-10 4-speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Wow noone can provide any insight? I was hoping to have some info to go off of when I head to Spring Carlisle tomorrow.

If you have the original starter , flywheel and bellhousing it will bolt up to your 66 engine and work fine.

Bob

If you have the original starter , flywheel and bellhousing it will bolt up to your 66 engine and work fine.

Bob

Thanks for your reply, Bob- actually the 283 came out of an automatic car. I do however have a bellhousing and flywheel from a '67 Chevelle 327 4-speed car that I'm hoping to use in this setup if I can. It's the 153-tooth flywheel, and the bellhousing matches the T-10 perfectly. I'm just down to knowing what flywheel, TO bearing and clutch can be used with this combination.

Jim
59registry.com

You can make the newer stuff work as it all bolts up. The only problems I see would be the pivot on the engine for th Z bar. My 57 uses a flat bar with a ball (pivot) at the front that bolts to the bellhousing, newer bell housings didn't have the mounting surface. You may also have to make up the rod from the Z bar to the clutch fork as the pivot at the fork aswell as the rod length changed over the years.

Like my brother used to say "It's the same thing only different"

Bob

Hi Jim,

It might be easier to sell what you have and get a correct flywheel and bellhousing just to make the clutch linkage hookup a no hassle deal. Also don't forget that you will need to put a pilot bearing in the crankshaft since it came with an automatic.

Tom

Hi Jim,

It might be easier to sell what you have and get a correct flywheel and bellhousing just to make the clutch linkage hookup a no hassle deal. Also don't forget that you will need to put a pilot bearing in the crankshaft since it came with an automatic.

Tom

Thanks Tom- yes I definitely wanted to consider the path of least resistance, but since the 283 I'm using had the starter mounting location on it, I did not know if that would cause any complications using the original 14" flywheel or not.

Thanks,

Jim

JohnZ has provided me with a stellar update today- he indicated that if the block I am using has 3 holes where the starter would mount on it, then I can use an original '59 flywheel, because the block allows for the installation of either the older OR newer style starters. So, I'll be able to move forward with the original '59 parts to get all this together. Thanks again guys!

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom