Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question regarding coolant leaks in between heads and block

Corvette
1962 rebuild in progress
I am getting ready to start my engine and was testing the starter and checking to see if I was getting oil pressure and noticed some seepage of coolant between the heads and the block on both sides of the engine. Not much just a few drops in a couple of places just enough to spot the garage floor. The engine has been rebuilt, as have the heads, compression is good and all gaskets and plugs have been replaced during rebuild. Looking for input before going back to various stages of a teardown to find the problem. Could the seepage be coming from the headbolts I am assuming thread sealer would have been used on the head bolts, possible poor seal on the head gaskets, check the torque on the head bolts? Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

I'd check with the rebuilder - it's mandatory to use non-hardening thread sealer on all the head bolts, as they protrude into the water jackets; coolant leaks between the heads and block on an engine that hasn't been hot-fired yet isn't a good sign. If you have leakage internally as well, you could hydraulic-lock the engine when you try to start it and bend a rod.

I'm not sure I would rely on the builder at this point.

I would pull the head or have someone other than the builder pull it. Just to be certain what the problem was. (regardless what the builder said)....and before it was fired.

A visual should tell you right quick what the problem is..and you can look at all the head bolt threads for yourself (for sealer) as you pull the head..

Just my nickel's worth...Stan

Pulled the heads today, all the head bolts looked good and the threads had the proper sealer, right now the head gaskets are suspect. Soooooo am going to put a fresh set of head gaskets on and see how it goes. Thanks.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Fresh rebuild so I'd think that the parts had been checked for cracks and the surfaces were good. With the head bolts sealed and new gaskets torqued to specs there should be no leaks, especially without any pressure in the cooling system. There is something strange going on.

Look everything over very carefully before you put it back together. I'd also fill and pressure check the cooling system before I started the engine just in case there is a hole someplace that shouldn't be there.

Tom

This doesn't make any sense at all. Fresh rebuild so I'd think that the parts had been checked for cracks and the surfaces were good. With the head bolts sealed and new gaskets torqued to specs there should be no leaks, especially without any pressure in the cooling system. There is something strange going on.

Look everything over very carefully before you put it back together. I'd also fill and pressure check the cooling system before I started the engine just in case there is a hole someplace that shouldn't be there.

Tom

I agree...that's why I was wondering what type of head gasket was used. If they were shim type type gaskets...my money's is on a poor block deck surface. Seems like some guys will deck the heads but not the block... Composit gaskets will generally over come the problem ...but shim gaskets may not...especially if installed dry.

Stan..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom