Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quick Fix for a sagging front end?

rch105

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red II Coupe
Any suggestions for a quick fix for a sagging front end on my '87 coupe? I did put two new KYB shocks on, but it's still low to the ground. Is there any alternatives (cheaper) to new springs? Thanks! Rick ;shrug

rch105 -
How many inches clearance do you have from the ground to the center air dam?
On my 86 (with Z51, 89K) its about 2 1/2 inches. I'm not sure if that is normal or if it should be a bit more, perhaps 3- 3 1/2 inches. Could be I'm ready for a new spring. My front shocks may be suspect also, as the former owner put Midas on, although they look new.

Bob,
From the level floor to the centerline bottom of the airdam I have 2 and 11/16" of clearance. I have the Z52 Sport Handling Package. Anyone help us?

Look at the front leaf spring It maybe deteriorated. There are many cases where harsh engine cleaners used to clean engines, years ago, dripped onto the spring and was left there. The result was the fiberglass spring was damaged causing it to lose the ability to support the front end.

Bob,
From the level floor to the centerline bottom of the airdam I have 2 and 11/16" of clearance. I have the Z52 Sport Handling Package. Anyone help us?
I'd say your bout where it should be, Almost every C4 I buy to resale I put a New air dam on!! I just measured a 96 I have in the shop with 50,000 miles and it sets at 2 and 5/8", It has Selective Ride Control!!:upthumbs ;shrug

Junk -
The CAC 'specs' section for 86 and 87 model years says the minimum ground clearance in inches is 4.7.
How do they measure this?
I could sure use another inch clearance to get over my driveway curb without scraping the air dam.
:w

Junk -
The CAC 'specs' section for 86 and 87 model years says the minimum ground clearance in inches is 4.7.
How do they measure this?
I could sure use another inch clearance to get over my driveway curb without scraping the air dam.
:w
My jack wheels is 3" tall and I have to back All C4's and C5's up on 2x12 step ramps to get a jack under the front because of the Air Dam!! 4.7 may be about the Rocker Clearance,I'd have to measure one!!!!But all I have is one in the air right now!! I'll try to remember to measure it when I set it Down!!!:upthumbs

attachment.php

The front spring on the C4 tends to sag over time, even though all the literature states that it is supposed to last the life of the car. I see many early c4s on ebay with a drooping front end, I don't think it's caused by engine degreasers, it's just age.

I replaced my front spring a couple of years ago with one from VB&P & couldn't be happier, the front of my car was factory ride height after installation.

Thanks for the insight, but one thing, what's the measurement now that you replaced the springs? I'm interested in the centerline, air dam to ground clearance. Thanks again!

tyrel - Please provide info on your spring from VB&P.
Do they have a link?
Do they have springs for Z51, non-Z51, etc?
Thanks.
:w:w

Thanks for the info.
For the heck of it I called the local Chevrolet dealer to get a price on the front spring and the response was "Part is no longer available-discontinued by GM. Try someone like Mid-America Corvette".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom