Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quick Question: Jacking up our Vettes

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
Okay, tomorrow I'm going to be doing work on the exaust, and I will need to get the Vette off the ground. I looked in my Service Manual, and it has lifting points for jacks and jackstands. I know this might sound stupid, but by looking at the picture, it seems like you should put the jack/jackstand in that general place. What I mean, is there an exact place to put the jack/jackstand so that I don't bend my frame and mess everything up?

Also, what kind of "lifting sequence" should I do? This is my first time ever jacking up a car off the ground. How will I do it? Do I do: floor jack lift back right side (for example) of the Vette, then get a jackstand there. And then get the floor jack to the back left side and jack it up, and get a stand under there. Is that how it works? What I mean is how do I lift and in what order so I don't bend the frame and so forth?

I just imagine that if you lift the back right side (for example), when the back left side is on the ground, wouldn't you bend the frame up? Or no...?

Like I said, I'm doing this tomorrow morning, so some quick enlightenment on jacking up the Vette would be much appreciated. Thanks! :D

Stallion

...is currently being answered. Thanks anyway, though!

I jack up one side with floor jack near trans crossmember, put the stands under the frame just in front of rear wheels, and the other stand just behind the front wheel right before the frame turns inward, then the other side, and put stands in the same opposite places. Did this for many, many years, and my frame is still true....just checked it out.

If the frame bends using a floor jack, then it would not survive going over railroad tracks. They are built really tough.

I checked the entire body for stress crack when I lifted it off the frame, looks as solid as new.

Bill

http://home.earthlink.net/~bigdogvettes/index.html

I see what you mean, Bill. So you pretty much get 4 stands under the Vette to get all the wheels off the ground? And you just use the 1 floor jack to get the stands under the frame. I see, thanks! :D

TR

Can't you just jack the rear up by using the center of the cross member in front of the "diff"?

jacking

opps, maybe late but I also leave both doors ajar, and loosen the t-tops. neither needs the added stress. Donald

I couldn't get in my uncle's shop today, so I have to go tomorrow morning. So I have another day to figure out this jacking. :D

So I could just get the floor jack and jack it up where the differential is? Is that safe? The Service Manual doesn't show that as a point.

I put my jackstands in front of the front wheels, just next to the sway bar mounts. When I tried different positions, this didn't cause the body to flex as much. (But it also depends on what part of the car you will be working on.)

I would not use the differential as a jacking point because the differential is mounted to a crossmember that connects to the frame. That crossmember is designed to hold the differential in place, not hold the whole weight of the rear of the Vette. There is a crossmember just in front of the differential that is very solid, so that would be a good point to put the floor jack under, but that is very low to the ground so a floorjack may or may not make it under that part of the frame.

If you could get a floorjack under the frame rails near the trans crossmember, (just under the doors) that is the balance point of the car. That whole side of the Vette will lift off the ground. If you have sidepipes however, you may not have access to the side frame rails, then you would need to drive the Vette up on something to get under it. Don't use the trans crossmember as a jacking point because it may not hold the weight of the car.

BTW TR, Did you get your Vette repaired from the wreck? Have posted any pics of it since?

Bill

Okay, Bill, I see what you mean, and that's how I'm going to do it. And I'll just put the jack stands right behind the front wheels and right in front of the back wheels.

Nope, haven't gotten it fixed yet. Huge problem with both insurances, couldn't get it worked out. But now we got the money, and the sooner I finish the exaust (which should be a one-day thing), the sooner I will be able to get it to him to fix it up. So soon, very soon. Then I'll post pics!!! :D

Stallion

matchframe said:
I would not use the differential as a jacking point because the differential is mounted to a crossmember that connects to the frame. That crossmember is designed to hold the differential in place, not hold the whole weight of the rear of the Vette.
Bill

I think if you follow the load path from the wheels through the trailing arms to the spring, you'll see that the rear cross member does indeed support the rear of the car.

It's still not the best place to jack the car. Frame rails are the best IMHO.
:beer

Vettehead Mikey said:
I think if you follow the load path from the wheels through the trailing arms to the spring, you'll see that the rear cross member does indeed support the rear of the car.

You are absolutely right! I have not thought of it that way.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Bill

I was thinking, I am planning on lifting the one side of the Vette. Put a floor jack in the area where the trans cross member meets, jack up the side. Slip a jack stand in front of the rear wheel, and behind the front wheel.

But, what would I do if I wanted to lift the back of the Vette? I don't want to bend the body, so how would I lift the whole back of the Vette with one floor jack, to slip in two jack stands in front of the rear wheels?

Most important is to block the front wheels!
(When jacking up the front, the rear wheels are blocked by the transmission, but when lifting the back, the front wheels must be blocked from the "outside")

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom