Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Quiet Ride" Compartment Divider

R

rjsmith

Eckler's is offering a device they call the "Quiet Ride" compartment divider for C5 convertibles and the fixed roof coupe cars including the Z06. They claim it reduces road noise by "40-60%". Since the only thing about my Z06 I could do without is the tire noise (most noticeable on California freeways, especially concrete sections, not so bad on asphalt), this would seem to be a good idea. It sells for $39.99 ($99.99 for the carpeted version). Hopefully it would not reduce the marvelous exhaust note of the LS6 engine.

Has anyone installed one of these? If so, did it make a difference in the amount of tire noise? Does it muffle the exhaust?

Compared to my 1992 C4 coupe, the Z06 is actually quieter (no squeaks and rattles) but there is considerably more tire noise.

BTW, if you have never had an opportunity to hear your Z06 from the outside, get someone else to drive it past you and have them get in the throttle a little. The sound is absolutely incredible.

I agree with you about the sound, it is great. As for the compartment divider I can't answer that, sorry. I hear that they do work though.

yes, I have the partition

The partition from Eckler's is attractive. Also, it shields anything you have in the trunk area from view. That's it; it provides no other value. My wife says it decreased the noise some, but 40-60% is laughable. If I hadn't thrown away the box, I probably would have returned it.

If you want to reduce road / tire noise, the only good option I've heard of is sound barrier installed under the carpet. See the discussions on Corvette Forum regarding this - I'll see if I can find the posts and email them to you.

The two names I heard regarding this are Dynamat and Cascade. Though I've met someone that installed Dynamat and it worked well for him, I'll told Cascade is better. Surf www.cascadeaudio.com, call them and ask for recommendations.

Re: yes, I have the partition

mgaskins said:
The partition from Eckler's is attractive. Also, it shields anything you have in the trunk area from view. That's it; it provides no other value. My wife says it decreased the noise some, but 40-60% is laughable. If I hadn't thrown away the box, I probably would have returned it.

Many thanks, you saved me the money and the time and aggravation of buying it.

I'll examine the site you refer to and report back here if the other solution works.

Ray

rwd said:
Not familiar with Eckler's, but there is another one which may have predated it:

http://store.yahoo.com/corvetteforum/frcinparmays.html

Don't know whether it works or not, but the right material ought to do something. Some owners in another forum say this one works. FWIW.

Thanks for the URL. I'll check it out

Would you happen to have a pointer to those other forums? It might be informative to read posts from people who have tried it.

I seem to remember from a physics class that anything with mass will absorb sound waves, but some materials do so more effectively than others. Something about the more space between molecules the less sound energy is transmitted (steel tranmits very well, styrofoam does not). That's why the Eckler's gadget sounded plausible.

Thanks again.

Ray

I'm sure there are solutions, but the potential market for the Z06/FRC specific items is not a huge one.

Otherwise, it's just a question of getting the right combination. I don't know what that piece uses, but on one of the following sites, someone also made one out of MDO plywood (IIRC) and there is a template and instructions.

Here's the base url for that section-

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain

There should also be some material at-

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/index.php

If I learn anything interesting, I'll post it.

I purchased the ecklers product and installed it. it seems to be made of foam rubber with carpet. it is attractive but flimsy..i plan to add velcro in an attempt to hold it in place..sorry i have not road tested the product as we have snow on the ground and my z06 is parked..i will post when i have driven it. my car is very loud i asssume road and tire noise..i have noticed the stereo sounds better with the partition in place..

I bought a divider about a year ago from MADVETS. Paid a bunch and was dissappointed with the fit. If you have a cargo mat the partition doesn't fit right (my own stupidity). It tends to flop around a bit but when in place it does cut the noise down. If I had it to do over again I would download the template and take into account the mat and make my own.

RWD:

That one you linked to is $400!!! Whoa!!!

It's funny that one sells for $39.99, and one sells for $399.99....and they're the same thing...a piece of cut plastic!

I think I'll just make my own out of a piece of thin wood, or just not get one.

My one reason for getting it would be to help the AC in the summertime here in Florida.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

Let me try this again. I traded my ecklers foam partition for one from Andy's and in combination with raising the tire pressure from 25 to 30 lbs. I have significantly less noise in the cabin. Andy's product is very well made. I am pleased that i made the swap..andy is great to deal with.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom