Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

R/C Corvettes

vett67

Corvette
67 Coupe,84,95 Coupe
Does anyone know anything about R/C corvettes?
I'm thinking of buying a Tamiya C5 1/10 scale and have very limited knowledge of the R/C hobby.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Woodie

"SAVE THE WAVE"

I didn't know that Tamiya made a c5 vette for RC. Now please understand that most of Tamiya's stuff is not for real racing. Even though their quality has probably improved since the old grass hopper days, you looking at plastic parts that will break under load and normal wear and tear on the race track.

What youi will need is a 2 channel transmitter, I liked the pistol grip transmitter. I used to use Futaba. A 2 channel receiver and either 2 servos or 1 servo and an engine controller. I used to use Tekin for the engine controller. In addition you will need two battery packs and a charger for them. Basically it will cost you around $200 dollars more to get out the door.

Once completing the kit, take the car out to a wide open parking lot and get used to controlling the car even when it is heading straight towards you (steering is reversed). Then go have fun with your new toy.

If interested more in the RC car hobby, check out RC Car Action magazine http://www.rccaraction.com/ They have a list of tracks throughout the US and one might be in your area. Go watch a race and see what they run. Most of the indoor tracks in my area run 12th scale and are extremely specialized. It is a fun hobby and I used to enjoy participating in racing. But as with any hobby, it can be awful expensive to participate.

Thanks for the info singledad 9.
I'm not interested in racing just yet, just another Corvette toy.
I've been driving Corvettes and collecting Corvette "stuff" for over 33 years and this seems like a great addition.
Thanks again,
Woodie

I have a nitro RC stadium truck...they sure are fun!!

There are many companies that make corvette bodies, you can put any car under the body.

7605.jpg

If you are looking to bash around on the street then 1/10 scale is for you. I wouldn't mind having a 1/18 scale electric (great for racing around your house, inside) .

Basically it will cost you around $200 dollars more to get out the door.
Honestly, that price is WAY low, especially for a 1/10 scale.

Tell us more about your budget, thing you will do, texture of your street, electric or nitro, and anything else you can think of, RC is quite a big hobby.

PS. RC tech is a great website and has a huge forum filled with info.

Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm basicly looking for a driveway toy and like the C5 body to add to my garage full of Corvette toys.
I'd say that I'd like to stay midrange in price and will be using it on smoothe asphalt or concrete.
Thanks again for the info.
Woodie

"SAVE THE WAVE"

electric or nitro? That's the big question!

What's midrange for you?? 300? 500?

hmmm. . .

Things that I would chose if I had a 500 max for an electric car:::

1 Decent charger. Someone else will have to help you with that decision (I still cant find one I really want in my price range)

2 Extra battery packs

3 An FM 75mhz transmitter with crystals

4 An good ESC (electronic speed control) with reverse

5 car:
a: HPI micro RS4, these are 1:18 scale cars that are extremely fun, not great for street use especially if its not blown off or very smooth.
b: Associated TC3 from what I hear its a GREAT platform with lots of hop ups if you get addicted and need more speed, or want to race
c: HPI sprint, entry level car but has many upgrades
d: HPI RS4 Rally, has a greater ground clearance so you can race around baseball diamods, short grass, take bigger bumps cracks and holes,
e: Kyosho Mini Z, I've heard mixed review so I cant really give a good opinion, although there are on and off road versions of this.

b-d are all 1/10 scale. e is a 1/18 if I am not mistaken

What would I chose? well either a or d... But most likely "a" because I already own a truck for outside.

Corvette bodies will fit all of the above.

Those are some of the highlights from my search at Tower Hobbies. Before you buy, price shop! Tower does not always have the lowest prices.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0097P

I hope this helps a little

let us know what you are thinking of getting before you buy. I wouldn't want you to get something and regret it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom