Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rack and pinion

scotch1

Corvette
1994 convert. 2002 C5 coupe
Hi.
I’m replacing my rack and pinion steering gear on my 94, vert
Question. Which brand is the best rack and pinion or which one should I not buy?
I can’t find new, all seems to be refurbished, is that ok?
So far Pep Boys has the best price and availability.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
Tom...

If you get the choice ( often no cost differeence) get the HD / Z51/ ZO7 option rack .
Is faster; 2 1/2 turns lock to lock

Different places may list them differently ; but there are only 2 type racks for a given year ; base and HD

If you get the choice ( often no cost differeence) get the HD / Z51/ ZO7 option rack .
Is faster; 2 1/2 turns lock to lock

Different places may list them differently ; but there are only 2 type racks for a given year ; base and HD

I thought it was 2 turns lock to lock for the Z51 rack?

I seem to recall if you put in a different rack with a different turn ratio, you have to adjust something on the car.

For a 94, it is very rare to find the quick rack because it was only made for the late C4s for 18 months...88 and part of 89.

Also, many rebuilders will try and sell you a "quick rack" but it's really the base rack.

Lastly, unless your are autocrossing, there's not much advantage in trying to look for a quick rack.

Beware of PepBoys rebuilds. A lot of it is crap and Manny, Moe and Jack hide that behind that "lifetime warranty" they sometimes put on stuff. Sure it's "lifetime" but lot of good that does is you have to redo the job two or three times because the stuff fails.

If I were shopping for a rebuilt rack for my 95, I'd go to RockAuto and get a reman ACDelco or Cardone.

Pep Boys

For a 94, it is very rare to find the quick rack because it was only made for the late C4s for 18 months...88 and part of 89.

Also, many rebuilders will try and sell you a "quick rack" but it's really the base rack.

Lastly, unless your are autocrossing, there's not much advantage in trying to look for a quick rack.

Beware of PepBoys rebuilds. A lot of it is crap and Manny, Moe and Jack hide that behind that "lifetime warranty" they sometimes put on stuff. Sure it's "lifetime" but lot of good that does is you have to redo the job two or three times because the stuff fails.

If I were shopping for a rebuilt rack for my 95, I'd go to RockAuto and get a reman ACDelco or Cardone.

Thanks everybody.
I appreciate the feedback.
Since I last posted, I completely ripped out the Rack and Pinion and am cleaning up my engine bay, after removing the radiator, and all the junk around it...
I ordered up the rack and pinion from Pep Boys and am awaiting delivery, as yet it hasn't arrived.
They had the best price and availability.

Question? Is there any way of me telling how good the rebuilt Rack is?

In the mean time I will look into Rock Auto.
Thanks for the heads up Hob.!
Tom.

'Pep' no go

Hi everyone.
Pep Boys could not deliver, my Rack, or other parts, including my Power Steering Pump.
Canceled my order got my money back.
Looked up Rock Auto, called them, placed my order, and in 24 hours I had my rack and pinion outside my door the next morning.
They explained that they had a warehouse close-by.
The price was very good, just that I have to return the old part for core charge, no problem.
Tom.

RockAuto's awesome. I love those guys.

I use Tom Henry Racing for GM parts, Zip Products for Corvette-specific aftermarket stuff and RockAuto for everything else.

clean-up

Good to know!
Thanks !
Question; What do you use to clean up the metal casting of the generator, AC unit, and the multi-bracket, in the engine bay?

Now that I have everything apart I am cleaning up all the antifreeze that was splashed around and wiping down all the components.
Tom.

Water pump Seal

Hi Everyone.
I finally finished installing my new rack and pinion on my 1994.
New Water pump, new power steering pump, new opti spark, and ignition module and spark coil, among other parts, plugs and wires.

Started up and runs great.
Good job.
Had the four wheels aligned.
Steering is fine.

ONE LITTLE PROBLEM!
Small oil leak!
Front bottom of engine, under pump or opti , or babancer.
Does not leak over night.
Just leaks when engine is running.
HELP!
Help, any thoughts on this issue??
Tom.

Hi Everyone.
I finally finished installing my new rack and pinion on my 1994.
New Water pump, new power steering pump, new opti spark, and ignition module and spark coil, among other parts, plugs and wires.

Started up and runs great.
Good job.
Had the four wheels aligned.
Steering is fine.

ONE LITTLE PROBLEM!
Small oil leak!
Front bottom of engine, under pump or opti , or babancer.
Does not leak over night.
Just leaks when engine is running.
HELP!
Help, any thoughts on this issue??
Tom.

What kind of oil? PS?

Just guessing,

PS line fittings leaking are common with rack or pump swaps. Its so awkward and inaccessable to get a wrench on the fittings, that when they are snugged up before mounting they get forgotten after final assembly or they get bumped around and start to leak. These fittings need to be tightened, cracked loose again then retightened to get a good seal on the flared ends.

Since this was the last thing worked on, its likely what is leaking, knowing what a PITA a rack or pump can be..

Crankcase oil

Hmmm, good thought!
I tightened all the PS connections and checked all the hose clamps but didn't loosen and tighten again.

However, the consensus of opinion is that it is crankcase oil.
So now I am starting to remove my water pump.
Tom.

Hmmm, good thought!
I tightened all the PS connections and checked all the hose clamps but didn't loosen and tighten again.

However, the consensus of opinion is that it is crankcase oil.
So now I am starting to remove my water pump.
Tom.

bummer....hate doing things twice.

water pump

Bummer it is!
Resigned myself to get it done one small step at a time.
I want to be driving around by the end of the week.
Just finished removing the water pump and have it resting on my workbench.

I have a clear view of the seal, looks ok, how can I tell?
Have to remove it and replace it.

Any suggestions on how to remove this seal?

Tomorrow is another day!
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom