Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radiator Install - Questions

68Roadster

Corvette
'68 White Vert '05 Silverado SS
The old radiator has given up the ghost and I opted for a new DeWitts Direct Fit aluminum as a replacement.
The car is a '68, base motor (SB) with 4 speed and Air....previous research has shown that SB's w/out air and SB's with air require several different parts. Air cars tend to take more parts that are in common with the BB cars.
Have ordered new cushions for the tanks and a foam seal kit that goes between the radiator and the core support.
My question is: Are these foam pieces glued in place to the core support and what is the proper adhesive to use? The Assy Manual is not much help and one would assume that just placing the seals in there and relying on fit to keep them in place would not suffice.

Words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Cee

Mine came with the glued surface on it. Just peel off the tape and put the seal in position.

Thanks Art...hope that is the case with the parts I ordered.

When I did my engine rebuild on my 82, I found that the radiator wouldn't pull out with the foam strips on. The clearance between the lower hose tube and the frame was 1/2" too tight to get it out. So I tipped the radiator back and scraped the foam off with a putty knife, and the radiator pulled right out once the clearance was opened up.
So when I put it back in, I waited to glue the paddding strips on until after I had the radiator in place on the lower mount.
I didn't want to take a chance of bending it taking it out or putting it in.

My strips had instructions with them showing how thet ave allignment holes in them, where the clips push later. peel the backing paper off the adhesive, put pencils or phillips screw drivers in the holes to align them. Then push the clips in. Are you pulling the radiator support and painting it?? I had a little trouble getting the new dewitt radiator pushed in with the new cushion on, but it finally settled in. They build a nice product! Good luck with your install, take your time doing it and it will turn out nice. Had more trouble getting the shroud in place on my 76 than anything else.

Thanks Pete and LV....
I'll check out the parts once they arrive and see what I have....spent a couple of hours last nite trying to cipher thru the Assy Manual, seems as though most of the parts are BB type....just have to see when the time comes.

Are you pulling the radiator support and painting it?? quote]

Looking at the lower radiator brackets (rusty), I would like to pull it and paint it but I'm not sure what it would take at this point. Also have the AC condensor mounted up there too.....don't want to open a can of worms right now....

Lower Brackets

Do these come off or are they welded in place??

Thanks.

Thanks John....
Looks like wire wheel and paint time then....

The condensor is just screwed to the support.The support has about 6 bolts that hold the sides to the inner fenders area and I think two bolts on the bottom. You could easily pull it and clean it up better than trying to do it in place. If it is rusted thru, replace it since it aligns everything up in it's area.
You can also get replacements, about $350.00 tho. Dewitts sells them as well as others. I think it would be worth the time since you spent so much on the radiator and seals.

Radiator install went very well....the Dewitt unit was a great fit. Nice to not have those two drip spots underneath the nose any more...
Thanks to all for the help and especially to Whiplash for the extra set of hands and eyes....

Happy New Year to all!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom