Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radiator Overflow

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
Hi,

When I bought my corvette somebody had replaced the stock radiator with an aftermarket. They deleted the overflow tank. The problem is when I turn the car off the coolant expands and pours out the overflow. I was wondering if anyone knows how to connect a new overflow tank. I've seen a few on ebay for around $30. However, they appear to have 2 or 3 hoses. My radiator has spot by the cap that the antifreeze escapes. Do I need to look for a setup that has one hose. I'm assuming this has to do with pressure. How does the antifreeze go back into the radiator? Is the overflow nipple always open or is it controlled by the pressure on the cap? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

The OEM design coolant recovery tank for '74s is still available from any of the popular vendors. It's a white plastic tank that sits under the passenger side fender. A single tube conducts the overflow from the radiator to the tank during hot conditions. Partial vacuum inside the radiator 'sucks' the coolant back when the engine cools.

Thanks. I think I will go with that. I'm guessing that's about the cheapest I'll find one that includes the cap and hoses.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom