Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radiator Removal

516manny

HAVE A '70 WITH A BB IN IT.WELL MY RADIATOR SPRUNG A LEAK.ALL THE HOSES ARE DISCONNECTED AND THE FAN IS OUT AND I STILL CAN'T GET THE RADIATOR OR THE SHROUD OUT.DOES IT COME OUT FROM THE BOTTOM?READY TO TAKE THE DAMN SAWZALL TO IT.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

I have never done an early one, but I'm told that yours is easier than my '79. ;)
You have to disconnect the radiator support, the part that goes around the radiator. On mine it must be removed but I'm told that on an early car you can push it foreward a couple of inches to gain the clearance you need to remove the shroud, or to remove the radiator leaving the shroud in place.
Don't forget to remove your ATF lines if you've got an automatic.

I just put a BeCool in my 69 350. Not sure if it's the same as a BB but I removed the two bolts on the top of the shroud. On the bottom of the shroud are 2 tabs that go into slots. These are bolted with 1/2" nuts and bolts. You must climb under the car to get at 'em. They are near the sway bar. There is another bracket under the shroud.

Good luck,
Dave

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP.I MANAGED TO GET THE RADIATOR OUT WITH A LITTLE WRENCHING AND ALOT OF CURSING.WHAT I ENDED UP DOING WAS DISCONNECTING EVERYTHING PUSHING THE RADIATOR SUPPORT FORWARD THEN REMOVING THE SHROUD AND THEN REMOVING THE RADIATOR.THE NEXT STEP IS TO HAVE THE RADIATOR REPAIRED AND PRAY IT DOESN'T GET DAMAGED GOING BACK IN.WISH ME LUCK.THE QUOTE OF THE DAY FROM A FRIEND OF MINE WAS "SO YOU WANT TO BE A CORVETTE OWNER"

We had the radiator in my '71 BB recored a couple years ago and decided to remove/reinstall it ourselves too. You didn't mention if you had removed the hood and the fan, but those are two things I would recommend to make things a little easier. The rest of what you did sounds about like what we figured out too.

By the way, had mine recored with Modine and it runs MUCH cooler now - unbelievable!!

Good luck!!
Barb :w

I DID REMOVE THE FAN BUT NOT THE HOOD.HOPEFULLY WONT HAVE TO PULL THE HOOD WHEN I REINSTALL THE RADIATOR.ANOTHER GOOD PRODUCT FOR THE COOLING SYSTEM IS FROM REDLINE CALLED WATER WETTER.THAT TO WILL DROP YOUR COOLING SYSTEM TEMPERATURE.IT COST ABOUT $8 FOR A BOTTLE

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom