Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radio antenna sticking

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
The radio antenna on my '98 sticks when retracting and leaves a few inches exposed above the fender.

Anyone else experienced this issue and is there an easy fix. Seems as though I've heard or read that the antenna should not be greased so I'm wondering how to fix it???

TIA!
:wJane Ann

The radio antenna on my '98 sticks when retracting and leaves a few inches exposed above the fender.

Anyone else experienced this issue and is there an easy fix. Seems as though I've heard or read that the antenna should not be greased so I'm wondering how to fix it???

TIA!
I think you find it is time for a New Mast,Jane Ann!! Sorry;shrug;shrug I think there is a Replacement mast out for the C5's now,I'll check!!!:upthumbs

OUCH! Along with the door hinges I've been putting off for a year now. :cry

Thanks for the info Junkie. Let me know what you find out about that replacement.

Try lubing it with silicone spray first. I put it (silicone) on a rag and run it up and down multiple times with the rag around it, it will clean and lube at the same time. If that doesn't do it, you will probably need a mast.

Try lubing it with silicone spray first. I put it (silicone) on a rag and run it up and down multiple times with the rag around it, it will clean and lube at the same time. If that doesn't do it, you will probably need a mast.

I'll give that a try... thanks.

:w

Here is where you can get the mast replacement.

http://antennamastsrus.com/

It is about $14. I have tried three times but each time the new mast worked twice (cycled twice) and then stopped working. By the third mast I could not get the mast to feed into the motor at all.

I think I blew this myself. You MUST watch how the nylon teeth are oriented when the old mast comes out. It is very simple to get the old antenna out and to feed the new one in. Just be absolutely sure to watch very closely whether the teeth on the old nylon part of the mast are facing to the front of the car or the rear. If you get it wrong when you feed the new antenna in it will twist and stop working.

This fix has worked for many. I am giving up and spending the $300 to have the dealer replace the whole assembly.

Good luck.:upthumbs

Anytime.

I have been in your neck of the woods many times. I am from the Alabama gulf coast.

Good luck with the mast.:w

Anytime.

I have been in your neck of the woods many times. I am from the Alabama gulf coast.

Good luck with the mast.:w

It has miraculously started working properly again... probably just a matter of time before it stops altogether.:L

Next time you're down this way give a shout and I'll buy you and yours a cup of coffee.

It has miraculously started working properly again... probably just a matter of time before it stops altogether.:L

Next time you're down this way give a shout and I'll buy you and yours a cup of coffee.

Who knows, it may keep working for years. Next time I head for Fairhope I will certainly give you a heads-up. I'd love to stop by.

Yeah, well Jane Ann repair it before it breaks the bottom 2 inches of the cable off in the antenna motor!!!:hb:hb Because then it becomes a Pain in the WaZoo!!:ohnoes The GM Part # for your Replacement Mast is "12525955" !! Yep it's the same as a C4 and many other GM vehicles!! The Instructions are in the Box and I'm sure you can do it yourself,as long as the cable don't break!!!!:upthumbs

www.gmpartsdirect.com

Search Results of Available Items*Prices are Per Unit
</B></SPAN> Page 1:</SPAN> 1-1 of 1 items
no_image.gif
GM PART # 12525955
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $63.13
OUR PRICE: $32.83

DESCRIPTION: ANTENNA

TIA!
Hi Jane ann, I own and operate a auto repair center 31 years now. I have a product called fluid film that I spray just a touch on the mast joints. It works great. My personal car has this problem. After a spray it will work great for over a year. I dont know if this product is available where you are? It Is a rust/penetrant product. Good luck

there is a TSB # 00-08-44-006A about sticking antennas and you need part # 88896816

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom