Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

radio hookups

Reese001

Corvette
1974 Corvette Stingray White
hey again everyone, i was looking through all the boxes that the previous owner of my 1974 stingray gave me that had all the old interior bits and pieces and the new ones some of which have been installed and some of which have not. but anyways i was looking at all the connectors because he gave me a brand new reproduction radio which fits in the bezel perfectly. the only problem is the last people who owned it some guy in Georgia had "modified" the radio hook ups to fit a radio that wasn't even meant for vette's the old bezel attests to that. but anyways i was wondering if anyone had their bezel off or has some pictures of what the origonal wiring looks like and whether or not i need new wiring or if i should just take it to a shop. (does anyone happen to know any shops that deal in classic cars in the bellingham, washington area?) thank you all for your help. ;help

AIM shows what you're looking for. The original plug for the stock stereo is a flat, three gang connector which plugs into the left rear of the unit. Power, illumination, and ground. Wiring schematic will show the colors and wire gauges. On the original dash harness in the area of the left rear of the stereo you will probably find the remnants of the original wiring.

If memory serves, Lectric Limited has the connector. They also show up on eBay.

:)

If the "modified version" of the wires are just extensions of the old ones you could just cut of the modified connector if it has one and reattach the factory connector. Or find the male end of the new connector to fit the one already in your vette this is all assuming that the new modified version had a new connector. The new wires are gonna be all basically for the same things(power,ground,left and right) its just a matter of finding what wire goes where.

thank you all for the responses and help :) hopefully within the next day or 2 i can get a few pictures of my vette on here and show you all. thanks again everyone

...get a few pictures of my vette on here and show you all...

Open an account with Photobucket or a similar picture sharing site. Upload copies of your pix there. Keep your originals on your home computer. Link your pictures from Photobucket to the forum.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom