Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

radio wiring

77D-VeTTe

Corvette
'77 Black 4sp Coupe '96 Polo Green Coupe
Last night I get the bright idea to wire in my Clarion head unit. blah blah blah....... My Hayes' manual doesn't have the right color description for wires in the manual. It mentions colors that arent there and leaves out colors that are there. Does anyone have a reference or know what wires are what in respect to the radio wiring that wouldnt mind sharing. :)

this is me and the Hayes' manual :confused :argue :mad :hb :grinshot

thanks

This is from an 82. I don't know if it is the same. Hope it helps.

AM/FM with rear speakers

Grey: Inst LPS fuse 7.5 amp
Yellow: Radio fuse 10 amp
Orange;Ctsy/Clk fuse 20 amp (electronically tuned radio only)
Brown: To light switch (electronically tuned radio only)
Black: Ground
Grey and Tan: LH front speaker
Green and dark Green: RH Front speaker
Yellow and Brown: LH Rear speaker
Blue and Dark Blue: RH Rear speaker
If you need power ant? Let me know.

Carlo
:w

Thanks C4ever, the more I dove into this project the more I wanted to back out. so I am going to just install my amp to the stock stereo.

By the way, C4ever, you have muffler eliminators on your 82 and 85 right? how is the volume of the exhaust at cruise and WOT? can you compare the sound to anything?

thanks for looking the wires up.

-D

You're right I do run eliminators on both and love em. Nice low growl at throttle and throaty at WOT. The best part is there is no modulation at 1800-2000rpm so cruisin speed is relatively quite. I would highly reccommend. There is also a performance gain when coupled with other mods.:w

C4ever

do you have stock cats? removed or hi flows?

what other mods do you have on your c4
-D

77D-VeTTe said:
Last night I get the bright idea to wire in my Clarion head unit. blah blah blah....... My Hayes' manual doesn't have the right color description for wires in the manual. It mentions colors that arent there and leaves out colors that are there. Does anyone have a reference or know what wires are what in respect to the radio wiring that wouldnt mind sharing. :)

this is me and the Hayes' manual :confused :argue :mad :hb :grinshot

thanks

do you have the Bose system in the C4?

Also the 1990-1996 vettes had a control head and separate radio receiver box. in the 1996 I think the receiver located in the right rear storage hatch.

Control head is obviously in the dash...

I have the standard tape player, and yeah the head unit and teh receiver box are seperate. Id like to know who had that bright idea. I gave up trying to install it on my own, I think I am going to jsut take it to best buy and have them install my amps, head unit, and speakers. What a PITA
-D

D,
The 85 is pretty much bone stock. Only mods are Hi-Flo Cat,open air box.K&N, stage II chip,modified exhaust,re-lo MAT sensor. I've debated many times over serious mods but I made the decision to keep her pretty much the way she was built. She drives like she stepped out of the showroom. I swear this car gets better with age:D All of her is original. I even had the Bose POS rebuilt to keep the gut original:(
Best of luck with the radio. I just plug in my old rock&roll cassettes.
Works for me;)

Sounds like you have a winner there. What brand of cat did you go with?
-D

Exhaust work was done by previous owner. I would think the hi-flo in parts distibutors catalogs would do the trick. :cool

re. Stereo

One thing I can tell you is the old 9v battery trick. You can use it to find out wich speaker you are trying to find by touching two wires at a time to the terminals. Kind of a hit/miss way but I watched them do it a Good Guys and thats the only way they could find what went to what. Well, first find the ground, then the Batt, then the ign. and finally the 9v to the speaker trick.

But I swear to Jeff....take it to Good Guys and pay 'em fifty bucks. They will do a half-install (just head unit) and be done in 20-30 minutes. It saves you sooo much time.

I swapped out my entire sound system about three months ago. They quoted me like $250 and $45 per speaker, the extra $45 per was because they needed to rewire the whole car. I ended up doing it my self and it took me at LEAST 8 hours. More like 12 with the beer breaks in between. :beer

I ended up with 1 MTX 5 channel amp, 2 Polk 6X9s in the back (with custom made grills, I had to modify the exsisting ones for clearence), 2 Boston Acoustics 4X6s in dash, two JL Audio 4 1/4s (or something like that) in the doors, 2 JL Audio 8" subs in the back and a Pioneer Premiere CD/MP3 player w/5channel 5volt outs.
Sounds killer but 12 hours!! Some things are best left to professionals.

nice set up evolution. I already have some great JBL 6x9's for the rear, and a single 10, Rockford Fosgate 400a, and a 200 watt just for the sub. Oh and I have a 10 disc changer. I just need to descide on my head unit, front speakers and get it all installed. I cant descide on teh ehad unit I like the pioneer double din b/c of the size, but sony has some nice ones too that would go well with the amber lit dash.

Make sure it has 5v pre-amp outs. Makes a ton of difference. Thats why I didnt go double-din. I couldnt find one with 6 sets of outs. (plus I got my head unit for $280, better than the $360 they were asking!)

man my spelling in that last one was ugly. hehe
Pioneer has a double din that has 4V output. I dont understand why alot of brands dont up the POWER. I guess because not that many people know the diference. I am a fan of kenwood and pioneer. Alpine is too overpriced and easy to steal. I'd like to try and coordinate with my dash lights but that isnt easy to do....
any recomendations?

WOW!

As far as matching up dash colors the Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 is about as color co-ordinated as you can possibly get!

I just looked at this thing for the first time a minute ago and it looks pretty sweet. Not d-din but heck! Comes with 6 pre outs and has MP3 playback..not bad for $319.. I should have gotten this model!

Oh, I might mention that you can often get display models from Good Guys or some similar place for much less. They come with full warrenties as well!

I like my Premiere but the display gets annoying sometimes. Oh well.

I have looked at the MPV7019 but it only has 1.8 V preamp output doesn't it? I like the JVC EL Kameleon KD-LX333, Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X559, and the Pioneer DEH-P77DH. THese ofcourse not necesarily matching the decor, but as well all know power comes first. Evolution, do you have any opinions on these models?

-D

Hmmm.. I do like the features of the Pioneer and the fact that it is d-din.
I guess its a matter of taste now. Although, the El Kameleon has a ton of moving parts that I would not personally trust

Ya know I hadnt even thought about all the parts on the JVC thats a damn good point. thanks man
now I just need to find a store with a demo model :)
-D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom