Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radio

77coolvett

Corvette
1977 corvette white
My 77 has a am GM 8 track digital radio in the dash. Does not work. After removing it appears the wiring has been patched. Is it possible the first owner tried to install a later model stereo in the car and couldn't get it to work. The radio has 3 plugs blue,black, white, the speakers have on the left a light green and black wire and on the right a dark green and black wire coming from the speakers to plugs that end just short of the center instruments. Then there is extensions plugged into them which I assume to be incorrect wires as the colors do not match up. From the left speaker the extension has a grey and brown wire than going to the white plug which has 4 wires lt green, dk green, brown, grey. They have the brown and grey wire connected to the light and dark green wire from the plug and do not use the brown and grey. The right speaker extension is light and dark green wires going into the blue plug which has 4 wires yellow, light and dark blue and brown,They have the 2 greens going to the 2 blues not using the yellow or the brown. The black connector has 3 wires hooked up blk to blk, yel to yel and grey to grey not using the pink. This is clearly not correct. Any one know about this and radios in the 77?

I would suspect the previous owner had an aftermarket radio in there he had to creativity wire in and he removed it when he decided to sell the car. He attempted to reinstall the original but didn't bother to hook it up right. Here is a diagram I had on my computer that is labeled 1977 but I see it says 73-74 on it. Wires may be the same though. Printing isn't the clearest so I use a magnifying glass to read it since it just gets worse as you enlarge it.

Schematic

Tom 77Corvette radiowiring.jpg

I would suspect the previous owner had an aftermarket radio in there he had to creativity wire in and he removed it when he decided to sell the car. He attempted to reinstall the original but didn't bother to hook it up right.

I Agree

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom