Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rag joint in steering column ?

Pepe Le Pew

Corvette
1980 White
What is the purpose of the rubber coupling in the steering column, right before the steering box? I think it is called "rag joint", but I'm not sure. ;shrug After my 1980 started wandering on the road a bit, I started checking the steering and found the rag joint was split and the coupling was just moving between the pins with with hardly any tension. :eek
Why is there a part that flexes in the steering system when we are trying to remove all the play in all the steering components. Is this rubber joint something I need or can I just put different bolts in the coupling and make it tight with no play. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I'm confussed. :confused Thanks friend's!:D

:w
Kenny

My understanding is that the rag joint is akin to a U-joint in your drivetrain. It allows for any flexing that may occur in driving so that no other joints have to undergo undue stress. Granted there should be very little flxing in there but just in case. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of the steering system will come along and either confirm my belief or steer (<--pun intended:D) us both in the right direction.

To add to Erics thoughts,being rubber,it probably helps to take some of the road vibration out of the steering column.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Eric and Dave. :D
I found some information in case anyone else was interested.:bu

Flexible coupling -- A part of the steering mechanism between the steering column and the steering gear or rack-and-pinion assembly. Also called a rag joint or steering coupling disc. The purpose of the flexible coupling is to prevent the transmission of noise, vibration, and harshness from the road and steering to the steering wheel.

You were right on Dave!:Steer

Kenny

If you haven't done anything with it yet, I'd advise AGAINST using one of the "rag joint repair kits" - they're not made from the correct material, don't have the steel reinforcements at the pin locations, flex too much, don't have the ground strap in them for the horn ground, and are just plain dangerous. Spend the money for a GM replacement rag joint assembly - steering is NOT the place to save a few bucks.
:beer

Yea John I agree. I just spent about 2 hours removing the old coupling. It was a real pain.:bang
Tomorrow I'm going to the local Vette shop and get a new one. I hope it goes together easier then it came apart.:crazy

Kenny

I too agree with using an original type rag joint. I installed the cheap repair kit from the local parts store, and it is NOT of the same quality as oem. It is more rubbery and just does not feel the same. I plan to replace with an oem part. Also, another area to check for slop is the steering gear box. Over time, the internals wear causing a loose feeling in the steering. In fact, my vette was down right scary at time. There is a screw on top of the box that can be adjusted to take the slop out. I turned mine about 2 turns...don't over tighten it... and the steering was 100% better. Either the Haynes or factory repair manual will document this procedure.

Pepe Le Pew said:
What is the purpose of the rubber coupling in the steering column, right before the steering box? I think it is called "rag joint", but I'm not sure. ;shrug After my 1980 started wandering on the road a bit, I started checking the steering and found the rag joint was split and the coupling was just moving between the pins with with hardly any tension. :eek
Why is there a part that flexes in the steering system when we are trying to remove all the play in all the steering components. Is this rubber joint something I need or can I just put different bolts in the coupling and make it tight with no play. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I'm confussed. :confused Thanks friend's!:D

Kenny

My 76 did the same thing!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom