Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rain nor Snow!

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
I've seen many vette's being sold that claim that they were never driven in the rain nor snow. Snow l can believe, but rain , give me a brake.

While l was looking for a vette, l examined some of those so called vette's and when l said that it looked like it had seen some precipitation they would come back with, well l must have gone through a puddle.

What do you think??????????????

Everytime I ride down the road and it's raining (not in my vette:L )
I see Harley's and Corvettes parked under the underpass......yeah right.
:eyerole

Desperate Sellers!!!

Not only the bull about rain nor snow, but not smoked in.

The lighter element was dirty and the ash tray was used and l don't mean lightly.

Plus the guy smoked every 15 minutes.

l really didn't care about the smoking or the rain nor snow, but why try to lie.

If his wife and daughter weren't close l would have said something, but it wan't important.

But what was important is that he really didn't know what options the car really had.

What l can make out it has everything the vette offerred plus the spare tire. lf l knew that before l would have offerred him more.

Dumb with a capitol d.

Mine has never been driven in rain or snow. That is the reason I have a daily driver. In fact, I have an Impala SS that has not been driven in rain or snow either. I didn't do this intentionally. I bought these vehicles a pleasure vehicles. I'll buy the driving through the puddle story as long as the evidence proves that. There are a lot of times there are puddles out there when it is dry out. Now a car that sees only occasional puddles should still look pretty new on the underside (ie. shiny exhaust pipes, shiny paint on the underside).

Okay, dumb question for the day....how can you REALLY tell if a Corvette has seen drive time in the rain? Any tell-tale signs or something?

I guess I wouldn't really know what to look for. :SLAP

Rain """

There is really no way that you can tell unless you get under the car and look for salt deposits. lt will look like a white residue.

When a car is washed properly, the under carriage is washed, so the answer is moot.

Yeah, it seemed sort of strange to me for someone to make the "never driven in the rain" claim, when it's so hard to tell anyway. :crazy

Unless you have access to a lift, there is no way to get to all of the spots on the undercarriage of a vette. I admit it is not easy to tell whether a car has been driven in the rain or not. The easiest places to spot this are on the exhaust and on the x-brace on convertibles. The exhaust usually is not easy to wash to remove all of the evidence because it tends to bake the dirt into the pipes. The y portion of the pipes that can be seen from the rear of the car usually give it a way. One that has not seen rain is usually shiny like new pipe. Otherwise it is a dull color. Also, it is very difficult to wash the top side of the x-brace on converts. The only other way to tell is much more work. Looking at the insides of the fenders, area behind the license plate, and area under the fuel fill. These all require removal of trim pieces at the minimum. A car that has not been driven in the rain will have some dust in these areas, but not water spots throughout. Just my $0.02.

My "garage queen" doesn't intentionally see rain; but if a thunderstorm comes, oh well. It really doesn't matter. How do the nice new shiny Vettes get from Bowling Green to the dealerships? I don't recall seeing enclosed car transporters when I was at the plant last year. How about on the dealers lot? Now snow, I will not take it out when there is salt & sand on the streets.

I wouldn't trust anyone who advertises "never seen rain or snow". Evaluate the car and do your own important inspection. Any excellent detailer can "remove" snow or rain residue.

RubyDropTop said:
Okay, dumb question for the day....how can you REALLY tell if a Corvette has seen drive time in the rain? Any tell-tale signs or something?

I guess I wouldn't really know what to look for. :SLAP

Get the owner on a lie detector and beat the truth out of him!:bang :bash

Like the others said, I think snow could be avoidable, especially if it were a Florida car. But rain is much more common and you could always tell if the person smoked. I don't smoke in my car and I don't even keep the ashtray in the car. If you want to smoke, you ain't ridin' in my car!

I drive in rain all the time, won't hurt it. I try to keep out of the snow though, not really the snow but it's the salt that does damage.

You can remove the rear license plate and see if there's alot of dirt and sand build up around the tank, see if the wiper switch has some wear to it. You can try to trick them and ask if they used RainX on the windshield .

:nono

Gas Tank

Hi Sumo

On the C4 there is normally some rust colored soot along the rim that runs around the tank where it was welded.

l believe the tank is stainless.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom