Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rain - what Rain?

• Thread starter Thread starter nmacdonald
  • Start date Start date
N

nmacdonald

When I owned motorcycles, there was what seemed to be a majority of folks who took pride in the fact that the bike had NEVER been out in the rain. From what I've gathered on various areas of this forum and others, Vette owners are much the same way. I'm not sure why that is.

I've seen folks with $50K BMWs, $70K Jaguars, and $100K Mercedes being driven in the rain - and snow for that matter. So what is it about Vettes that makes them unworthy of being rained on?

Not trying to be a smart___, just trying to figure out why folks don't want to drive their Vettes in unclimate weather, during winter, or any other time when the sun is not shining.

When I bought my '85, there was a president of one of the local Vette clubs there picking up a new vehicle. He came out and we started talking about my car. He thought is was very near show condition and was certain that I'd have it parked much of the time. But I was quick to point out to him that I fully intended to drive that Puppy on a regular basis! I could see the disappointment and chagrin on his face. Then I thought to myself, is there something wrong with driving these cars on a regular basis?

Is there?

I am also one who drives mine whatever the weather, Its a matter of opinion and mine is that most people don't drive them enough. I would rather have a well maintained high milage Vette then one that has sat most of its life ;LOL

they just get dirty faster in the rain, a funny thing the last Corvette club function I attended it was raining and I had the only Corvette ;LOL the heat and windshield wipers in my C-5 work great.

where is Galloway, I am in the NW corner of Ohio

Daily driver here...can't stand to be without her...

Susan
:v all Vettes...

Driving in the rain

The only reason I don't drive in the rain is if the car was recently washed and I don't feel like washing it again. Bought it 3- years ago and put 20,000 miles on it; enjoyed every one of them. Rain or not.
But it is a little squirrely on wet roads.

Mine has seen rain several times. I dont not drive it if I know it is going to rain. Snow and ice on the other hand is totally different. The car is driveable but not as much as my suv. So with that said, I also dont trust other drivers. I wouldn't be able to live with myself, if someone slid into my vette. So I drive it as much as possible in a variety of weather conditions.

Craig

I know I am probably going to get some slack about this but here it goes... my Vette is currently my daily driver. I wish it wasn't that way, but when my last car died and this one came along at the right price I couldn't pass it up. I also don't even have a garage for it or a car port. I am currently looking for a garage from a friend to park it in when the snow finally does fall, but I do have a car cover for her that is 100% water proof. My car was in a lot worse shape then when I got her, now she at least has new weatherstripping so she won't leak so much (as well as many other updates she needed). After I get her painted back to her origianal bright metallic blue, I hopefully will at least have a garage for her.

Rip
Right on keep driving it !!!! Thats what I like to see Corvettes are made to be driven and another 76, the Rodney Dangerfields of Corvettes. You won't get any grief from me:D

Mine is also my daily driver and as long as the conditions are drivable, thats what I'll be doing...driving.

Daily driver, only seen snow a couple times, no ice yet, and never since I rebiult her last winter and put the BIG meats on. We'll see :L

sigh, guess I HAD to reply here..

Vettes are better driven WITH Rain.. but thats a horse of another color.. ;LOL

I don't take mine out in the rain on purpose. but sometimes I go thru storms when on road trips. Part of ownership.. Doesn't freak me out or anything.

Love Bugs and the sand blowing in off the beaches bother me more than a rain storm.

I try to keep away from rain & snow. The roads get slippery here very quickly since they are not as clean as what you folks have in USA. The car being so powerful is not much fun on a slippery surface. And for the snow? NO WAY JOSE...

My Vette is always clean, even underneath, so I don't like driving it in ther rain.

I lease an SUV and that goes great in rain & snow.:)

When I first got mine, I didn't drive it in the rain or if it was supposed to rain.

After a long road trip with lots of rain, I changed my attitude. It's meant to be driven. :Steer

Because of the potential for rust on the undercarraige and my plan to keep the car for many years, I don't drive it in the winter after they start salting the streets. I get it out after the first good spring rain that cleans the salt off the roads.

I agree about the driving in rain, in fact even though mine is white, I look at the rain as an excuse to wash it, I give it a soaping then drive through the neighborhood. Some may think of me as mad, but I look at it in the same light as taking a shower with the wife. Two rinses for the price of one.

Now I will agree with many who live in icier climes, that the ice and snow are good places to drive Corvettes. After growing up (some will doubt that also) in Western New York, and living and driving in New York, New Jersey, and Kentucky, where winter would have a more ice and snow than they would use on the Love Boat in a year's cruising, a number of factors are against a Corvette's use.
First is clearance, 3 inches below the front valance makes the car a snow plow, definitely NOT!.
Second the Wide Tires do a good job of compacting the snow, and there is a certain amount of grip, but no weight to get it going.
Third, is the high amount of torque combined with the lack of weight, and the car will break traction quicker than John Force's average reaction time...

Most of our brethern in those climes are smart to have a Pickup or Jeep or similar vehicle. Plus all the other assorted necessities such as tire chains, lock de-icer, windshield scrapers, toe warmers, gloves, and extra tools such as shovels, salt and sand in bags, and a come along for those times most inconvenient.

The Vette is the weekend vacation car. I'd sure hate to be on one of our 1,000-1,500 mile loops and have to rent a garage to keep the car from getting wet....

My Vette is a daily driver so rain or not I'm driving. I live in Phx where rain is almost non-existent but if I want it to rain all I have to do is wash my car and BINGO it's raining. What's up w/ that??? My car being black w/ chrome wheels, just hitting a puddle will ruin my day!

Like a lot of you I'm reluctant to get it all road grimed up after I have gotten it all super cleaned up and polished. However, I scheduled an Autocross Driving School and on the day it was raining steadily all day. All of the Vette drivers were joking about not driving theirs in the rain, but there we were. You wouldn't beleive how aggressively you can drive one of these on wet asphalt. What a blast and I would never have learned and experienced how much maneuvering margin my Vette has on a wet surface. So keep a fresh pair of wipers on and watch out for the morons in traffic. :L :beer

bossvette,

Galloway is just west of Columbus. Near the intersection of 270 & 70. Hilliard is more familiar to most folks.

I also drive my car every day. Makes going to work at least bearable, and the drive home even more fun! Part of the joy of ownership for me is getting the car out for a little drive on Sunday mornings, then spending a few hours washing it all up nice and shiny for the next week.

Drive ‘em, baby!
:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom