Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(RARE!) 1995 Corvette Grand Sport - Yes, a 1995!

*89x2*

Fellow enthusiasts - I thought I would share some photos of a VERY unique Corvette that recently was uncovered for the world to see (again).
The car, a 1995 Chevrolet Corvette, languished on the lot at Delphi, a General Motors supplier who worked on some of the electronics of the Vettes of that era. Remembered by one of the engineers there at Delphi, he recently made sure the car made its way to Kentucky, and was donated to the National Corvette Museum over the Labor Day holiday weekend.
The car is prototype number 003 from the Grand Sport project and although it is a 1995, it is fitted with many parts that found its way into production for 1996. Items including the F45 suspension were taken from idea through design and application on this car. Molded export flares were added, and there is an LT4 engine within its front frame rails. While some of the ideas made production, others did not. The body colored door handles did not make the cut, and the seat embroidery was changed for final production.
Wearing Admiral Blue paint, the stripe was never applied to this car, as the final design had not been determined then. The earlier 001 and 002 cars, wore different stripe designs from production schemes, each failing to make the leap to RPO content. Sharp eyes will notice the wheels do not match the car and also are much narrower than a performance model like this should have on it. The reason for this is the original wheels were “borrowed” for another project while the car was on that back lot, never to be seen again. While the dry rotted tires got the car to the museum, hopefully they can be changed for something else in due time.
General Motors has not been in the business of donating cars and in fact, when this cars whereabouts became known, the general wanted it back. That keen Delphi engineer claimed Delphi owned the car, not GM and when he showed proof of a sale from GM to Delphi for the nominal amount of one dollar; the dispute car was over. Delphi gave the car to the NCM for free.
Enjoy this glimpse of Corvette history, as the car was one of the rarely seen “mules” that eventually lifted Corvette performance to a higher level.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Most excelent! :)

I must admit that when read the title of the thread I was reminded of a guy a few years back that almost bought a purple "Grand Sport" that turned out to be a stolen car that had been pieced together from other stolen cars. I am glad to see that this mule survived and is avaible for public viewing.

After having owned a GS for a little over 3 years, it is interesting to see the prototypes. I must say that I like the black door handles (easier to keep clean than painted ones, and they matched the black wheels), and staggered "Grand Sport" embroydery on the seats, that made it to the production GS's

Jason

Thanks for posting this information. This Grand Sport "mule" is indeed a nice addition to the collection at the National Corvette Museum. I can't wait to see it in person!

Glad you all enjoyed seeing it - It was a car that virtually everyone discounted, as they walked past :ugh

Taking a minute or two to pause and chat with the guy beside the car, he confirmed my suspicions that is was indeed something special - the car wore many decals on parts, stating they were exempt, etc. I had to know MORE! :cool

The fella with the car held it so near & dear, he used it as part of a wedding - it was the "getaway car" or something to that effect ;)

Enjoy!
Chris :beer

Nicely done! Great to see a part of history NOT get swept away!!!

SAVE THE :w

Thanks again for the compliments :beer

It was a VERY COOL Corvette and as mentioned, there are LOTS of cars (and many Corvettes) languishing out behind Delphi, and other GM supplier / partner buildings :eek

The full story on this car will be in the new issue of Corvette Enthusiast:

frontpg_left.jpg

Thanks again for the compliments :beer

It was a VERY COOL Corvette and as mentioned, there are LOTS of cars (and many Corvettes) languishing out behind Delphi, and other GM supplier / partner buildings :eek

The full story on this car will be in the new issue of Corvette Enthusiast:

Huh. This is strange. My post seems to have vanished and that makes yours a little out of context. Anyway, I mentioned that I get into Delphi plants and other suppliers and that there are often some Corvettes and other cars that sit there for years without moving. It makes you wonder just what they are.

Tom

Very nice story! Thanks for posting it! It really does make you wonder what else is sitting out there "undiscovered"!

Jim

Huh. This is strange. My post seems to have vanished and that makes yours a little out of context. Anyway, I mentioned that I get into Delphi plants and other suppliers and that there are often some Corvettes and other cars that sit there for years without moving. It makes you wonder just what they are.

Tom

Tom, a duplicate of this thread is under the NEWS forum here - that was where your post was made :cool

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90033

Hope this helps :v

Thanks for getting me straightened out Chris. I thought I was going nuts (more than usual).

Tom

That's pretty sweet. I didn't even know 95 GS's were ever produced.

You are correct. 1995 GSs were NOT produced. This is a prototype that did not fall to the wrecking ball.

Very unusual. Most of the concept and prototype vehicles get crushed.

To have this one escape that fate.............

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom